Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floris
    replied
    vB does not come with import service. You can't use impex either, because you have to import the .sql dump into a database first.

To properly restore a .sql dump I recommend to use either phpmyadmin or shell access mysql command.

If this doesn't work well, ask the host to import it for you (or give you ssh access)

Leave a comment:

• henners
    replied
    Not to worry, I just tried and, whilst it took its time to import it, I *think* it is working now

Leave a comment:

• henners
    replied
    Yup, thanks Floris, and i've done all that already.

I guess what i'm asking is, once i've got the .sql file on my new server, can I just import it into mysql or does it need importing through vB somehow. Like, for example, it is simply a schema of the entire database which will create it like-for-like on my new mysql setup, or is it a vbulletin sql file, which can only be used through vB (if that even exists). I'd open it myself, but my PC can't handle opening a 300Mb sql file to take a look!

Many thanks for your reply!

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    You can create a new dir inside the admincp dir called backups and chmod this to 777 with ftp and then go to the admincp and maintanance > backup > and write dump to file option, and ./forum.... rename that to ./admincp/backups/forum.... and let it write to the server.

Then use ftp to go into the backups dir and download the .sql dump with ftp.

Once done, you can delete the backup.

As extra security, I recommend to use .htaccess/.htpasswd to protect the admincp/ directory.

Leave a comment:

• henners
    started a topic database backup to server

database backup to server

If I was to do one of these, could I then import it directly into mysql, or does it get imported somewhere in the vB admin panel?

I don't have SSH access to my current server, but I do to my new one, hence why i'm asking (and hence why I can't do an ssh transfer like you always recommend).

Is this possible ?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X