X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'max_user_connections' - always from the same username

I have been getting this annoying error:

Code:

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: User tee17_dodge has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections
    /home/tee17/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 273

MySQL Error  : 
    Error Number : 
    Date         : Thursday, April 26th 2007 @ 11:08:26 AM
    Script       : [URL="wlmailhtml:{9E661007-52F1-4FD6-B004-4B4632DED43F}mid://00001453/!x-usc:http://www.dodgeboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3037"][COLOR=#0066cc]http://www.dodgeboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3037[/COLOR][/URL]
    Referrer     : [URL="wlmailhtml:{9E661007-52F1-4FD6-B004-4B4632DED43F}mid://00001453/!x-usc:http://www.dodgeboard.com/forums/city-county-politics/"][COLOR=#0066cc]http://www.dodgeboard.com/forums/city-county-politics/[/COLOR][/URL]
    IP Address   : 69.50.39.110
    Username     : 
    Classname    : vb_database
    Then it lists the IP address.

Now here is the strange thing.....

The IP address is always the same, and it always comes from the same user. The errors occur only when THAT user is on. I have quizzed the user and he is doing nothing out of the ordinary.

My host allows me 25 sql connections. Persistance is turned off. I am definately NOT using all my SQL connections....at least not until this one user visits me.

3.5.3 w/vbseo

Any ideas?
    Last edited by dodgeboard.com; Fri 30 Nov '07, 1:59pm.

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: User tee17_dodge has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections
    /home/tee17/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 273

This is a server/host issue. The server has maxed out the number of MySQL connections your host allows you to have. You can try turning persistent connections off in your config.php:

PHP Code:
            //      ****** MASTER DATABASE PERSISTENT CONNECTIONS ******
            //      This option allows you to turn persistent connections to MySQL on or off.
            //      The difference in performance is negligible for all but the largest boards.
            //      If you are unsure what this should be, leave it off. (0 = off; 1 = on)
    $config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0
    But if you still have problems after that, all you can do is ask your host to raise the maximum number of connections they allow.

Here is more info on this error:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/...resources.html
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...resources.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, Like I said in the initial post, Persistent connections is ALREADY OFF. I have read those threads- this is NOT THE SAME.

It's obviously NOT the host since the problem only occurs when this ONE USER comes to visit my board. There could be 2 people on and when this guy comes to visit, I start getting emails notifying me of the error, always with the same IP listed.

Also note that this user never sees any error messages, and neither does anyone else. The only evidence I have of an issue, is the errors that I get in emails. I will get anywhere from 5-10 emails all one right after another. In the script line of each email it will reference each thread he visited.

I am inclined to believe that there is something fishy with this one users browser, OS, ISp that is opening several concurrent sql connections and not releasing them properly. Is this a possibility?

Comment

Sorry I was just being thorough. I can certainly stop trying to help you any further if you want.

Like it or not the bottom line is that your host has limited the amount of connections you can have. If that weren't the case there you would not get that error. This is something that only your host can resolve.

As to why this is happening with that user, maybe they are doing something on their end to open as many MySQL connections as they can, or they have a trojan or spyware doing something like this. I really don't know.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I thing hE can get several connections to the board if he opens links in new windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            Sorry I was just being thorough. I can certainly stop trying to help you any further if you want.

Like it or not the bottom line is that your host has limited the amount of connections you can have. If that weren't the case there you would not get that error. This is something that only your host can resolve.

As to why this is happening with that user, maybe they are doing something on their end to open as many MySQL connections as they can, or they have a trojan or spyware doing something like this. I really don't know.

Sorry if I sounded short. It looked like you were just giving me a canned answer and not really reading my post.

I realize that sql connections are limited by the host. But as you and I know, when persistent connections are properly configured to be OFF, the connection is only utilized momentarily and then dropped, minimizing the need for many sql connections, especially on a board of my size that only has 10-20 members on at a given time.

My initial post was attempting to direct you to the topic of why the problem only occurs when a particular user is on the board, not the broader generic cause of these errors- as an MCSE, that part I fully understand.

I would be inclined to agree with your assessment of a possible virus or trojan, except that I have had the user scan his computer very extensively, with no threats found.

Comment

Originally posted by dodgeboard.com View Post
              It's obviously NOT the host since the problem only occurs when this ONE USER comes to visit my board. There could be 2 people on and when this guy comes to visit, I start getting emails notifying me of the error, always with the same IP listed.
              If he's using the FasterFox plugin then make sure that he isn't using any setting higher than "Courteous". If he is, it'll start downloading multiple pages at a time.

EDIT: "Enhanced Prefetching" in FasterFox should also be turned off. That's the one that actually starts loading other pages.
              Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

I realize that sql connections are limited by the host. But as you and I know, when persistent connections are properly configured to be OFF, the connection is only utilized momentarily and then dropped, minimizing the need for many sql connections, especially on a board of my size that only has 10-20 members on at a given time.
                10-20 users can easily eat up 25 connections. Very easily. You only need a few of those to open several pages each in different tabs at the same time. You can do this just by selecting "New Posts" and rapidly right-clicking on the threads listed there.

If you have the External Data Provider active and other sites link to your site, they will open connections as well. Or a fast moving search engine bot.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Good info Jason, I will look into that. It seems like he WAS using Firefox.

Wayne, It only happens when this ONE USER is online. All errors emailed to me reference the ONE USERS IP address - ALWAYS.

Comment

Ask him if what browser and browser plugins he's using.
                    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Wayne, It only happens when this ONE USER is online. All errors emailed to me reference the ONE USERS IP address - ALWAYS.
                      And if I tell my browser to download your site for offline reading, I can probably trigger it myself. I have my browser set to open 10 connections to a website when it is doing that. I can set it to 50.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X