Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steveu
    replied
    I ban them because that helps me track them if they try and register again under a new email addy.

If I ban an IP, I might prevent a new user from being able to sign up. Some systems seem to assign the same IP to multiple users, especially AOL. Or, say someone is registering from a school computer or library computer with the same IP as a banned user. I've even banned one sibling but not another!

Of course the latter is almost impossible to enforce. I also have banned users who try and use a proxy ... but I get them later because they'll eventually try and post from an old IP from teh banned account.

Leave a comment:

• VitalNation
    started a topic Permanent Ban vs Deleting User

Permanent Ban vs Deleting User

I have started to get a lot of spam sign ups on my forum so I have added the manual confirmation step in the registration process. For these accounts that I do not intend on ever letting them go active I add their IP address and email to the future registration banning list and then delete their accounts. So can someone explain why you would ever permanently ban a member instead of simply deleting their account? If a user has done something bad enough to warrant a permanent ban, wouldn't you rather wipe any trace of them off the forum?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X