Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AOL users not getting email

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AOL users not getting email

    for some reason aol users are not getting their emails to confirm registration or even when they have forgot their password.

    yahoo and google mail work fine.

    spam folder is checked.

  • #2
    Does your mail server have a valid reverse DNS entry? How about an SPF record?
    Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

    Comment


    • #3
      As Jason alluded to, AOL will not accept emails from domains that do not have reverse DNS setup. It's possible these emails are being placed into a spam folder or are being filtered.

      The first thing you need to do is ask your host to setup reverse DNS for your domain.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

      Steve Machol Photography


      Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        As Jason alluded to, AOL will not accept emails from domains that do not have reverse DNS setup. It's possible these emails are being placed into a spam folder or are being filtered.

        The first thing you need to do is ask your host to setup reverse DNS for your domain.
        Steve this is a constant problem with vbulletin. I'm having the very same issues and i've posted on this before.

        Both AOL and Yahoo mail users are not receiving the welcome email, and as such cannot validate their accounts. I'm getting more and more members pretty much giving up because they can go no further.

        I requested that our server has its reverse DNS setup and this is now fully working, alongside its PTR record but it simply hasn't addressed the problem at all.

        http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=72.9.252.210

        Anything else you can recommend ? I had Drupal on the same server with no such problems.

        Comment


        • #5
          If some vB email is working then this is a server or email box problem. Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

          http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/troubleshoot_email
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

          Steve Machol Photography


          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            If some vB email is working then this is a server or email box problem. Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

            http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/troubleshoot_email
            Mmmm its interesting as my host is basically saying its you, you are saying its my host and i'm sat in the middle with no solution. And had no problems with Drupal with either Hotmail or indeed AOL.

            All email tests test out perfectly and i can receive emails to everything but those free hosts.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not going to get into an argument over this. vB does not have it's own mail server. It uses the server you are on or the SMTP server for it's email.

              If you followed the instructions in that page then you should be able to view the vB email logs to ensure that vB is sending these emails. I guarantee that there is absolutely nothing in vB that would cause it to not send emails to some hosts and not others. This is simply not possible.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

              Steve Machol Photography


              Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


              Comment


              • #8
                This isn't about being argumentative steve, this is asking you to look at the potential that something within vbulletins welcome mail sending is wrong.

                Out of sheer frustration i have just signed up the vbulletin.com using a yahoo.com account. Guess what, no email, nothing, nada.

                So now both my own server and the vbulletin one is not set up properly.

                I have since found both emails sent directly to bulk but this begs the question of why vbulletin emails are going directly to bulk in the first place. There from two different servers, i have reverse DNS enabled and we are, as far as we know, not blacklisted, are vbulletin ?

                As i say i know you don't want to get into a debate, but i used Drupal up until recently and these emails were not delivered to bulk then so i have to summarise that something is triggering this with the welcome email vbulletin is sending out. You can't expect users to look through bulk as most wont, ending up in unactivated accounts.

                I'm not alone either, countless other admins are seeing the very same thing. Check your own forums, it comes up quite consistently.

                BTW you can now delete the dizzytest account. Sorry for doing that but i just had to know.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Did you follow all of the instructions on that page I provided? And what do your vb email logs show?

                  I guarantee that our forums did send out that email. The problem is on the receiving end. I know you don't want to believe me, but I am absolutely certain that this email was sent.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                  Steve Machol Photography


                  Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dizzy99 View Post
                    I have since found both emails sent directly to bulk but this begs the question of why vbulletin emails are going directly to bulk in the first place. There from two different servers, i have reverse DNS enabled and we are, as far as we know, not blacklisted, are vbulletin ?
                    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                    Did you follow all of the instructions on that page I provided? And what do your vb email logs show?

                    I guarantee that our forums did send out that email. The problem is on the receiving end. I know you don't want to believe me, but I am absolutely certain that this email was sent.
                    I acknowledged above steve that the email on both occasions was sent out and went straight to bulk. So my question is why is vbulletin sent email going to bulk when other email isn't ? I've just had an email from a fellow webmaster and that didn't go to bulk at all.

                    So i think the question is more in the format sent than the actual sending. Although i'm sure you won't agree with me here but im sorry to say i've now tested this on 4 seperate systems, all with EXACTLY the same issues.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know what to tell you. vB does not send emails to 'bulk'. The receiving end decides to put them there. To troubleshoot this I would need to have intimate knowledge of what criteria the receiving end is using to determine what is classied as potential spam and what is not.

                      FWIW I do not have these problems on my forums. Email goes to those domains with no problem. Of course some people can set up more aggressive spam filters than others.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                      Steve Machol Photography


                      Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                        I don't know what to tell you. vB does not send emails to 'bulk'. The receiving end decides to put them there. To troubleshoot this I would need to have intimate knowledge of what criteria the receiving end is using to determine what is classied as potential spam and what is not.

                        FWIW I do not have these problems on my forums. Email goes to those domains with no problem. Of course some people can set up more aggressive spam filters than others.
                        Steve the same is apparent here from vbulletin.com. Thats going to bulk too on a standard yahoo account.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Are we at least going to check the possibilities that its the email format sent out that could be causing issue ? Theres far too many of us having this issue for it to be constantly ignored or told that its our webservers reverse DNS at fault.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I do know a little bit about this issue and I have tried to explain this the best I can. Clearly I have not been successful.

                            Unfortunately I don't have anythign else I can add. If you have a specific sufggestion then please feel free to post this in the suggestions forum here:

                            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                            Steve Machol Photography


                            Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks Steve, i've done just that.

                              I'll be honest in saying this is becoming a MAJOR issue for us. Being a small community, when somebody takes the time to register and cannot activate his / her account, it becomes a huge issue for us. I am tempted to turn validation off but this opens the floodgates to spammers so can't really see it as a huge option.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X