"View Source" Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys,

You all are missing the point of what I am asking here. My main question has nothing at all to do with security or critical information.

I simply want to hide the name or wording VBULLETIN from my members using the "View Source" feature since I did infact pay for the branding free option. Nothing more nothing less.

I was not aware that the word Vbulletin was pasted throught this code, it kinda in a way defeats the branding free option.

Doug

P.S. Xodus I am not talking about Quick Reply, Javascript, or Ajax. This has nothing to do with any of those specifically, the code or wording that I am talking about can be found on any page of the Vbulletin message board by right clicking on the board as long as you click on a place that is not an image file, and then left clicking on "View Source".

Comment

There is no way to disable View Source in the end-user's browser completely. Browsers are designed that way for a reason. If they can see the webpage they can view the source.

If you disable right-click, they can turn off javascript or view the cached version of the page in their temporary internet files. Even "uncached pages are stored in the history at least for a while.

If you go through Flash, the compiled file gets downloaded and they can use a decompiler to view the code of that file.

The only place vBulletin should be mentioned when viewing the code is:
      <meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.6.5" />

You can change that by editing the headinclude template.

The other mentions are file includes, The branding free option does not give you the permission or right to rebrand vBulletin and by not having these files then you can severely cripple your forums and nullify support. It is very doubtful that the majority of your visitors are even looking at the source code.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        The branding free option does not give you the permission or right to rebrand vBulletin and by not having these files then you can severely cripple your forums and nullify support.
        For the last time guys, I am NOT trying to rebrand Vbulletin in anyway or claim the work as someone elses, All I am trying to do is hide that it is a Vbulletin board in the "Obvious" ways. Other internet "gurus" find out its Vbulletin and they all of a sudden want to start suggesting how I should run my board because they know the program...

Please enough of the reminders on the copyright licensing agreement stuff.

Thanks

Doug

Comment

If people tell you how to run your site, then you say "Thank you for your suggestion. I'll take it under advisement.". I don't need to look at the source to know its a vbulletin site. I can look at your site right now and tell its a vbulletin site.

I am sorry the suggestions given were not to your satisfaction. What you want to do is not possible. Simple as that.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Wayne,

Ok, No Problem I understand, thank you for the information, I do appreciate it.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Doug

Comment

You want to remove the word "vBulletin" in all of the viewable html codes in vB forum just because some other people suggest how you run your forum? I think you're wayyy over the top here.

Let me tell you this: Whether you remove the word "vBulletin" or not from the viewable, the "gurus" you're talking about will know it's a vBulletin forum after spending 10 seconds on your site. So what's the point of removing or hiding them? I don't care how much edit/change your template to make your forum doesn't look like a vBulletin forum, you still can't change its functionality, organization, or representation. The bottom line is as long as a person knows what a vBulletin forum looks like, that person will know if you forum's vBulletin or not. Heck I can even do it without using the "View source". You can't change that because if you can, you've already coded your own forum.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X