Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "View Source" Question

Group,

Does anyone know if there is a way to hide the "View Source" feature or code in Vbulletin to keep my members from viewing the code?

Doug

No. It doesn't really give away that much anyway, if you're concerned about customisations you've made to your forum.

Comment

yes i know it doesnt show much but it does show the word vbulletin throughout the code and thats what i am trying to hide from my members. is there not a way to hide or restrict access to viewing this code or information.

Comment

Where does it show the word vBulletin in the code? You can't remove the footer unless you've bought brand-free...

Comment

RedTyger, It shows it in the code on any page you view the source code.

Also you have to do is just right click on any page of your VB site and select "View Source" and then either skim through the code or click on "Edit" then "Find" and in the search box type in the word "vbulletin" and then select "Find Next".

It even shows code modifications or anything else you have commented out or noted.

Yes I am aware of the licensing agreements for copyright removal from the footer area, and I do own a branding free license.

Doug

Comment

I'm not sure if it would work, but it would seem that by far the easiest solution is to rename the files/folders with "vbulletin" in and replace the word vbulletin with another word of your choice, then use the Replacement Variable Filter to change vbulletin to the word you replaced it with. Failing that, I assume that rewriting vbulletin to someone else would be possible with .htaccess, again assuming you've renamed everything as above.

The meta generator line can be removed entirely from the template headinclude (I think that's the one).

Comment

you guy wants to have the whole HTML code viewer to be disabled in your members browser... forget it... the web is done that way...

it is not vBulletin code, it is html code, and there is no way a person can imagine the software behind it when they see the html code...

each time someone load a page on vBulletin, you have more than 125 000 lines of code activated... they do not show in the code viewer... or you really have a problem with your server...

i'd say to focus on something else if you want to have privacy...
              oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by nexialys View Post
                i'd say to focus on something else if you want to have privacy...
                Like what?

Doug

Comment

View Source only shows you what is currently displaying on the page.

Like when you are viewing a thread and click "View Page Source" it will show you all the text in the post, not the backend code.
                  vBulletin 5.0 coming soon... :confused:
                  Visit my site today!

Comment

Originally posted by forumguy View Post
                    View Source only shows you what is currently displaying on the page.

Like when you are viewing a thread and click "View Page Source" it will show you all the text in the post, not the backend code.
                    Oh how wrong you are.

Just a suggestion, but you guys might actually want to test this before giving advice or commenting on this cause I can see alot of code that you say I can't see or what I should be seeing. This "View Source" feature gives away alot of information about our boards and I am quite sure that a few admins here would not want the public to being seeing either.

Disable right clicking would be a nice addition or maybe Vbulletin Flash version?

Doug

Comment

How?

I clicked on "View Source" on this topic and I found a post, with the text:

<!-- message -->
                      <div id="post_message_1330103">yes i know it doesnt show much but it does show the word vbulletin throughout the code and thats what i am trying to hide from my members. is there not a way to hide or restrict access to viewing this code or information.</div>
                      <!-- / message -->
                      Visit my site today!

Comment

Ok... What about all the other code that is in there.

Thats what I am getting at, not just one thing.

Either way though if there is absolutely no way of blocking view of this code or preventing specific people from viewing this content then I guess its no worth even discussing this issue any further as all its going to do is end up starting a debate or argument over stuff that is irrelevant to the question originally asked.

Doug

Comment

All the other code is what's displayed around the thread such as the navbar, login etc. But as said before, there is no way to block this, nor I see a need to. It doesn't endanger the security of your board and that's all that should matter.
                          Visit my site today!

Comment

Originally posted by forumguy View Post
                            All the other code is what's displayed around the thread such as the navbar, login etc. But as said before, there is no way to block this, nor I see a need to. It doesn't endanger the security of your board and that's all that should matter.
                            It doesnt matter what you see a need to do, I see the "need" thats all that matters to me. Besides I paid for a branding fee to hide Vbulletin and this has vbulletin in it thats why i want to hide it. If i knew Vbulletin couldnt be hidden completely I probably would not have spent the $120.00 for it.

But like you said, theres no way to hide this so Im not going to keep this going on any longer.

I appreciate and say thank you to everyone who contributed to this post.

Doug

Comment

Code:
                              <!-- EDITOR SCRIPTS -->
                              <script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin_textedit.js?v=365c"></script>
                              <script type="text/javascript">
                              <!--
                              var fontoptions = new Array("Arial", "Arial Black", "Arial Narrow", "Book Antiqua", "Century Gothic", "Comic Sans MS", "Courier New", "Fixedsys", "Franklin Gothic Medium", "Garamond", "Georgia", "Impact", "Lucida Console", "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Microsoft Sans Serif", "Palatino Linotype", "System", "Tahoma", "Times New Roman", "Trebuchet MS", "Verdana");
                              var sizeoptions = new Array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);
                              var smilieoptions = new Array(); smilieoptions = {  };

var istyles = new Array(); istyles = { "pi_button_down" : [ "#98B5E2", "#000000", "0px", "1px solid #316AC5" ], "pi_button_hover" : [ "#C1D2EE", "#000000", "0px", "1px solid #316AC5" ], "pi_button_normal" : [ "#E1E1E2", "#000000", "1px", "none" ], "pi_button_selected" : [ "#F1F6F8", "#000000", "0px", "1px solid #316AC5" ], "pi_menu_down" : [ "#98B5E2", "#316AC5", "0px", "1px solid #316AC5" ], "pi_menu_hover" : [ "#C1D2EE", "#316AC5", "0px", "1px solid #316AC5" ], "pi_menu_normal" : [ "#FFFFFF", "#000000", "0px", "1px solid #FFFFFF" ], "pi_popup_down" : [ "#98B5E2", "#000000", "0px", "1px solid #316AC5" ] };

var smiliewindow_x = 240;
                              var smiliewindow_y = 280;

var ignorequotechars = 1;

// vB Phrases
                              vbphrase["wysiwyg_please_wait"]          = "Please wait for the WYSIWYG editor to finish loading...";
                              vbphrase["wysiwyg_initialized"]          = "WYSIWYG Editor initialized for %1$s in %2$s seconds.";
                              vbphrase["wysiwyg_command_invalid"]      = "This command is invalid or not implemented.";
                              vbphrase["moz_must_select_text"]         = "Mozilla requires that you must select some text for this function to work";
                              vbphrase["moz_edit_config_file"]         = "You need to edit your Mozilla config file to allow this action.";
                              vbphrase["enter_tag_option"]             = "Please enter the option for your %1$s tag:";
                              vbphrase["must_select_text_to_use"]      = "You must select some text to use this function.";
                              vbphrase["browser_is_safari_no_wysiwyg"] = "The Safari browser does not support WYSIWYG mode.";
                              vbphrase["enter_option_x_tag"]           = "Enter the option for the [%1$s] tag:";
                              vbphrase["enter_text_to_be_formatted"]   = "Enter the text to be formatted";
                              vbphrase["enter_link_text"]              = "Enter the text to be displayed for the link (optional):";
                              vbphrase["enter_list_type"]              = "What type of list do you want? Enter '1' for a numbered list, enter 'a' for an alphabetical list, or leave blank for a list with bullet points:";
                              vbphrase["enter_list_item"]              = "Enter a list item.\r\nLeave the box empty or press 'Cancel' to complete the list:";
                              vbphrase["must_enter_subject"]           = "You must enter a title / subject!";
                              vbphrase["message_too_short"]            = "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least %1$s characters.";
                              vbphrase["enter_link_url"]               = "Please enter the URL of your link:";
                              vbphrase["enter_image_url"]              = "Please enter the URL of your image:";
                              vbphrase["enter_email_link"]             = "Please enter the email address for the link:";
                              vbphrase["complete_image_verification"]  = "You did not complete the Image Verification";
                              vbphrase["iespell_not_installed"]        = "ieSpell is a spell-checking tool for Internet Explorer.\r\n\r\nIf you would like to download ieSpell, click OK; otherwise click Cancel.\r\n\r\nieSpell can be downloaded from http://www.iespell.com";
                              vbphrase["click_quick_reply_icon"]       = "Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.";
                              vbphrase["insert_all"]                   = "Insert All";

//-->
                              I think he's talking about this, if you have quick reply enabled, it uses javascript which the source is shown if you do view source.

I assure you that no critical information is being shown in the view page source. If you don't want the javascript to be shown. Disable all ajax features.

If you feel that the the source you see when you do view source is critical, make a post in the bug forums with specific examples and extracts from the source.
                              </script>

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X