Dreaded 404 permission error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaded 404 permission error

I have users telling me that they are receiving the 404 permission error regularly. I've only seen it a couple of times. The problem is that they are telling me that they're going to another board (competitor) when they get the error. I've modified my .htaccess file as shown here:
    ---------------------------------------
    redirect 301 http://www.xr-u.com/ http://www.xr-underground.com/

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </IfModule>
    ---------------------------------------
    Is there anything else that I can try? Thanks in advance!
    X-Runner Underground: www.xr-underground.com
    The Unforgiven: www.unforgivenpilots.com

Is this still happening after making that change?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve - i actually JUST had this error occur when I tried to move a thread.

Comment

Enable phpinfo in the Admin CP, then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Public phpinfo() Display Enabled

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Done. URL is www.xr-underground.com. Thanks for looking into this Steve.

Comment

I don't see anything there that would account for this other than mod_security.

First, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve, I did the suspect file versions thing and everything looked good except for the "file not recognized" errors that I received from add-ons that I have installed.

While I would love to add the DISABLE HOOKS line to my config.php - I am running VBa and I can't have my homepage go away. That's not an option for me.

Also, since the 404 error is random and intermittent it's almost impossible for me to remove things and see if it is fixed. I am relying on my users to inform me of 404 errors (which I received two notifications today) - which is usually unreliable.

Any other options for me?

Comment

Sorry then. I don't have any other recommendations. However truly random errors are almost always server and/or Internet connection issues.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve - I tried loading up the default template again to make sure that my template/style wasn't the problem. I am getting 404's using the default template as well.

I have finally found a way to fairly consistently recreate the problem. If you click "Member List" at the top of the page and then randomly click on members name in the list - usually within 10-15 clicks I'll hit a 404. I can't consistently reproduce the problem anywhere else on the site. Does this help you at all? Why would the members page create problems more often than any other page.

Also I've been polling the users and it seems that more of them with the problem are using IE7. This makes no sense to me since a 404 error would be server side - but I know that I never hit errors (even in the member list) using Firefox. :shrugs:

Comment

If you really have reuploaded the original vB files, disabled plugins and confirmed this with the original vB templates, then this has to be a server issue. Have you contacted your host and asked them to check the server logs?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I may have made a little head way here --- maybe not. I started thinking about what could be causing any interruption on the server. I remembered that I have VBiSpy installed which polls the server every 7 seconds by default for new posts. I cranked the polling time up to 70 seconds and then clicked through the member list in IE7 and hit no 404's.

I'm going to uninstall this plugin tonight and see that is the problem.

If not, I will contact my host and see if the server logs show anything.

Comment

Bump. Steve - here is some more information:
                        1. I called the hosting company and they showed no errors in the logs. They also changed the security mod setting on the actual Apache server to ensure that it was taking. Still no change.

2. I've had users tell me that they if they get locked into a repeated 404 (meaning any page they click on delivers a 404) that if they close their browser and reopen that everything is fine. Could this be a cookie error or something?

3. I'm considering taking the board down this weekend, backing up, reinstalling, etc, etc. What is the best way to do this? I need to retain my template since I've made tons of code modifications. I can always reload the mods one-by-one to see if one of them are creating the 404. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                          If you really have reuploaded the original vB files, disabled plugins and confirmed this with the original vB templates, then this has to be a server issue.
                          Originally posted by K2_02 View Post
                          I may have made a little head way here --- maybe not. I started thinking about what could be causing any interruption on the server. I remembered that I have VBiSpy installed which polls the server every 7 seconds by default for new posts. I cranked the polling time up to 70 seconds and then clicked through the member list in IE7 and hit no 404's.

I'm going to uninstall this plugin tonight and see that is the problem.
                          For future reference please follow our instructions to remove any non-vB code in order to get support. If this is something you are not willing or able to do, then it's best to post over at vbulletin.org for help.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by K2_02 View Post
                            3. I'm considering taking the board down this weekend, backing up, reinstalling, etc, etc. What is the best way to do this? I need to retain my template since I've made tons of code modifications. I can always reload the mods one-by-one to see if one of them are creating the 404. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help!
                            There is no officially supported way to do this. I assume you want to retain your current users and posts, right?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

For future reference please follow our instructions to remove any non-vB code in order to get support. If this is something you are not willing or able to do, then it's best to post over at vbulletin.org for help.
                              Steve - I understand. I will uninstall all of my plugins/products tonight and see what happens. Although it is going to be a major PITA.

There is no officially supported way to do this. I assume you want to retain your current users and posts, right?
                              And yes, I would like to retain all of my users and posts. Can't that be done with a simple database dump or SQL export? My big concern (beyond the content) is the template.

Comment

Working...
                              X