Forums and Sub Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums and Sub Forums

I cannot for the life of me how to create a top level category and then another top level category. Then in these 2 categories the will be sun forums. You can also consider this to be 2 main forums then subs under these 2 main ones. Cause when I did this everything is showing on the main page as all my forums are in one section. Can someone help? Here is what I want to do... Go to http://www.k9castaway.com/message_board/ This is not the way I want it to be. See this next section in blue to see how I want it to be broken out.

FORUM: General Dog Discussion Forum
    Talk about anything you like that is dog related.

Sub-Forums:
    General Forum
    Talk about anything that doesn’t fall into one of the categories below.

Doggie Pictures Forum!
    Post pictures of your dogs and tell all about them. Bragging is of course encouraged.

Grooming Discussion
    Talk about everything related to grooming or bathing your dog. Discuss tips and techniques that work for you.

Dog Health Discussion:
    Talk about everything related to your dog’s health and well-being.

Dog Food Discussion
    What’s the best food? What do you feed your dogs? What shouldn’t we feed our dogs?

Dog Training/Behavior Discussion
    What kinds of training do you recommend? Does your dog have some behavioral issues? Let’s talk about it.

New Dog Owner Tips/Questions
    Talk about anything related to being a new dog owner.

FORUM: K9Castaway.com Discussion
    - Talk about anything related to K9Castaway.com and lost dogs.

Sub Forums:
    Suggestions/Comments
    Post your suggestions for enhancements or changes to K9Castaway.com

Lost and Found
    Talk about lost dogs. Report lost dogs that you have seen in your area and aren’t registered for K9Castaway.com

Hello,

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Support.

You can "add a forum" and have it behave different ways.

1. Have a forum act as a forum.
    In a forum you can just create new threads and posts
    To add a forum, go to the forum manager > add new forum > give it a title and click [save] and you have a new forum.

This will show as:

- Forumname

2. Have a forum act as a sub forum.
    The same as (1) above applies, except this time you don't click save button yet, but first you select the parent forum. By default this is 'none', if you want a sub forum (a child forum) you select it's parent forum from the dropdown. For example the forum you previously created. And then click save.

This will show as:

- Forumname
    | -- subforumname

3. Have a forum to act as a category.
    The same as (1) above, except, in a category users can not post new threads, it is a "holder" for forums below it. And just like (2) above you can set it's parent to none or put it below an existing forum. But, before you click save first set the value for the option "act as a forum?" to NO.
    Yes - it is a forum
    No - it will be a category.
    And then save.

This would show as:

# Category (shows blue and can't post in here, only list forums)
    |- Forumname (shows normal, and can post in here)
    |--- subforumname (shows normal, as a sub forum, and can post in here)

At any time you can change the order of the forums, their names, their descriptions, their options and their parent

So if you already have forums, just go to the forum manager and modify the existing forum, change its parent and change it to be a category.

Note: If you have threads in a forum, and change it to a category, those threads will become unaccessible. Move them to another forum first..

More info: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html

Please let me know if you require any further assistance.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X