Thread subscriptions, but no email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread subscriptions, but no email

We have a handful of accounts (out of a population of a few thousand) that aren't receiving email notifications from any of their subscribed threads.

Email in general is working fine on the server, other users subscribed to those same threads receive email, and the subscriptions all show up in the control panel and subscribethreads table correctly for the affected users.

I've taken a look at the email troubleshooting thread, but didn't find a solution there.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/troubleshoot_email

I've been monitoring the server's email logs interactively while posting and have verified that when a post is made to a subscribed thread for these users, email gets sent to the other subscribers, but not to the affected users.

Affected users are in the same main and additional permissions groups as those who do not have the problem. Changing a user's permissions temporarily to administrator doesn't change the behavior.

Any other ideas? Are there any other settings that affect whether or not an individual user will or won't receive email notifications for their subscriptions?

Since it's a handful of accounts the issue is almost certainly on their end. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about this particularly since you have confirmed that your server is sending these emails. These users will need to troubleshoot this on their end, either by checking their spam filters or contacting their email providers.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Sorry if I mis-posted previously, but the affected users are _not_ getting sent email by vbulletin. I'm watching the outbound mail server logs on the vbulletin server. When I make a test post to a thread with multiple subscribers, I see the correct outbound notifications for unaffected users, but no outbound attempts for the affected users.

This suggests to me that for some reason, vbulletin isn't even attempting to send to the affected users.

Comment

vB does not decide to send some email and not others. It's all or nothing. What do your vB email logs show?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Are those in the "Log Manager"? If so, I guess I haven't enabled those, but I couldn't find the toggle switch in the options. The manual doesn't seem to cover the "Log Manager" option in the admin control panel.

Comment

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Error Handling & Logging -> Log sent eMails to a File

For the server logs you'll need to contact your host.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks for that. The email log only seems to log member-to-member emails, and not the emails sent out by the subscription system as a result of new posts. Maybe I'm missing something or there's some other config option to turn on the logging of all outbound email?

We host vbulletin on a dedicated server, so we have direct access to the email logs. That's what I've been monitoring to determine that some subscription emails appear to not be going out. I'm not convinced that it's not some sort of mail configuration issue, but I'm trying to first trace these emails starting at the source (vbulletin).

Thanks again for the support.

Comment

The vB email logs log all vB emails. Are you sure you set this up and have confirmed those emails are not being sent when in fact they should be? If so, then I've honestly never heard of that happening since vB does not decide to send some emails and not others. It sends them all or none.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hi Steve,

I think I may have figured out what's going on. We may be experiencing new behavior that we weren't expecting after an upgrade from 3.0.1.

To verify what vbulletin was actually sending, I put a logging function in front of line 919 in functions_newpost.php. This confirmed that vbulletin was not sending email to all subscribers for every post made to a thread with subscribers. What was doubly strange was that it would send to a different group every time: sometimes a few users, then a different few on another post, sometimes none at all.

Then I took a look at the query (starting on line 837) that selected the users to email. The "user.lastactivity" clause looked a bit strange to me, so I temporarily commented it out, and now every subscriber seems to be receiving an email for every post.

So, why would we only send an email notification of a new post to subscribers who have done something on the forums since the last post was made to the thread? Am I reading that correctly?

user.lastactivity >= " . intval($lastposttime['dateline']) . "

Based on these tests I think I may just be ignorant of some new feature that we didn't read about when upgrading to 3.6.4? Or maybe I've misconfigured something related to this in the admin panel?

I hope this helps shed some light on what we're experiencing.

Comment

This confirmed that vbulletin was not sending email to all subscribers for every post made to a thread with subscribers.
                    vB has never sent emails for every post, even in 3.0.1. What it has always done is send an email on the next new post in a thread the member has subscribed to, and no more email until the members logs in.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by bdurbin View Post
                      So, why would we only send an email notification of a new post to subscribers who have done something on the forums since the last post was made to the thread? Am I reading that correctly?

user.lastactivity >= " . intval($lastposttime['dateline']) . "
                      Thanks for pointing out where this is set. On some of my forums, the user base is small but it is criticial that an email is always sent to thread subscribers. You helped me find what to comment out to enable that.

I wish that was an option each user had when subscriping to a thread!
                      Last edited by westpointer; Thu 9 Aug '07, 5:49pm.

Comment

When I upgrade from 3.5.4 to 3.6.8, I have the same problem.

vBulletin do not send emails to sucribers members.

Comment

Same problem here :-( vB not sending out e-mail notifications to all members who post new messages in a thread nor do some of my members receive a noticifation of a PM they received. My version is 3.68P1, my forum is at http://forums.watchuseek.com

Comment

Please see this page for troubleshooting email problems
                            http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/troubleshoot_email
                            Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X