STILL not sending activation emails!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STILL not sending activation emails!

This is getting a little frustrating. I've searched the forums here and have tried some of the recommendations by other users, such as Reverse DNS, but STILL cannot get my board to send to Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo accounts.

Please can someone offer me some suggestions or a solution?! THANKS!
    X-Runner Underground: www.xr-underground.com
    The Unforgiven: www.unforgivenpilots.com

These are almost certainly being blocked on the receiving end. If some vB email is working then this is a server or email box problem. Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/troubleshoot_email
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have to say that I'm not convinced this is on the user's end and not on vBulletin's.

I've been running a flat-file, CGI-based forum for over 3 years from the same domain. I'm currently testing a vBulletin installation on the same domain that I was planning to move to in a week.

Hotmail addresses are not receiving emails from my vBulletin installation, yet my current forum has never had this problem.

I'm not calling anyone a liar here, I'm just asking why would email from other non-vB forums be delivered to Hotmail but not from my vB?

Comment

it can be because of hotmail end problem. You know there are too much vbulletin boards and almost every time emails sent from vb forums goes to spam box.

I dont know what is the real reason but i am getting much error mail about bounced sent mails to hotmail and yahoo

like i say it can be because of these services spam mail system

Comment

Originally posted by Kirkus View Post
          I'm not calling anyone a liar here, I'm just asking why would email from other non-vB forums be delivered to Hotmail but not from my vB?
          I haven't seen any hard evidence of this myself but maybe hotmail has an issue with the headers from vB emails.

Did you follow all the suggestions in the link I posted, including the vB email logs? If so, what do they show?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            I haven't seen any hard evidence of this myself but maybe hotmail has an issue with the headers from vB emails.

Did you follow all the suggestions in the link I posted, including the vB email logs? If so, what do they show?
            Hi Steve. I was very much wrong when I said that my CGI-based forum is getting mail out to Hotmail accounts... IT NO LONGER IS. My mistake and my apologies (I tested this not long ago). To add to the fun, a vB test forum that I had online about 2 weeks ago WAS getting mail out to Hotmail accounts.

Add to that the fact that this very forum sent email to a Hotmail account within seconds of it being sent leads me to believe the problem is NOT caused by vBulletin, but rather the way my mail server is set up or changes that Hotmail has put into affect just recently.... or a combination of both.

I've looked at the logs and to be perfectly honest, I don't know how to read them. But I did look at all headers being sent from my vB forum and I've found something suspect. It shows the following: from helo=mail.FORUMSDOMAIN.com by host.DIFFERENTDOMAIN.com. I know Hotmail doesn't like to see different domain names in headers.

I don't know if reverse DNS will resolve that header issue or not, but I've asked my VPS host to setup reverse DNS and they have. I should know in a day or two if that's fixed my particular problem.

Again, my previous post was wrong.

Comment

Well the evidence I have is pretty hard - hard to swallow at least. I've made a fairly new installation (3.6.5) on my new (cliffco.co.uk) domain. I'm having the exact problem as described above - the board mail functions all work as per normal unless it's to a Hotmail address. I have my suspicions that Yahoo and AOL won't work either, but as the site is still in development they haven't been tested yet. The hotmail problem was discovered when I attempted to register a test account.

There are several other sites on the server with .COM domains and we all have identical SPF records together with reverse DNS . . However they are IPB forums. I've been trying to figure out if the problem may be relevant to a .co.uk domain as opposed to a .com but there seems to be very little information anywhere on this issue. It does appear to be unique to vBulletin though, and in this respect some help is required.

The other sites CAN send mail to hotmail, but mine cannot. Indeed, I cannot send to a hotmail address (and quite possibly Yahoo or AOL) even directly from cPanel, so it's becoming extremely difficult to pin the issue down. The fact remains that if these 3 domains cannot be contacted, and will not receive validation links, then my vBulletin forum is dead in the water before it even opens. Whilst I'm aware that a great deal of "spam" is generated by these services, they also accounted for some 80% of my previous genuine members. I had been running vBulletin on a .COM domain before, the new board is on a .CO.UK domain and this is the only difference between my previous and current set-up.

I've gone through the Email diagnostics on my ACP and no errors are apparent - the messages just seem to vanish. I'm told they've been sent, they simply don't arrive. Both my webhost and myself have been scratching our heads for 3 days now trying to figure what's wrong.
              I should add that the hotmail accounts used for testing are both hotmail.co.uk AND hotmail.com addresses, and all receive mail normally from other sources.

Clearly there is a serious issue here, and so far the only relief I have found is to discover via this thread that I'm not alone with this seemingly unique problem. Some help/support with this would be greatly appreciated - indeed I will be happy to open a support ticket if this is necessary - please advise?

Comment

Using my simple methods I'm confident that it is not my domain name or the email headers I mentioned earlier. An email sent from my mail client (vbulletin out of the equation) was immediately received at Hotmail.

Now I'm very confused. Unfortunately for me, this is going to be a deal-breaker. I can't run a forum that, for whatever reason, can't get email to at least 25% of my members.

Comment

I am still having this problem as well. I tried the link in the second post of this thread to no avail. I have had to opt for a giant RED BOLD message on my VBa homepage for users awaiting confirmation to TRY to get unconfirmed members to email me. It looks like about 5-10% of users actually email me... while I still am showing nearly 40 out of 370 users awaiting confirmation.

For lack of a better way of putting it: this sucks.

Comment

Belder and Kirkus, please start your own thread with all the relevant details, including what the server and vB email logs show.

Note: vB does not have it own mail server. It uses either PHP or SMTP (depending on your settings) for email. It does not justy randomly decide not to work or not to send some emails and not others. If some vB email is being sent, then vB is sending ALL emails.

K2_02, I asked what the server and vB email logs show. Do they show these emails being sent or not?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

They are in fact being sent. Is there no way to keep them from getting trapped by spam filters - altering the header or otherwise? Thanks for any insight you may have Steve.

Comment

The only control vB has over the email header is the -f setting as per that troubleshooting page. Everything else is added by the server itself.

Note: If there were a fool-proof way to bypass spam filters, then don't you think all the spammers would use this?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I've done a number of tests over the past couple of days having found out about this problem by chance. Its got nothing to do with Vbulletin, its down to Hotmail trying to sort out genuine from spam emails, and *I THINK* they've made things a bit tougher past few weeks because this wasnt a problem in January (for me anyway).

My first test was to register a new user with an e-mail account on Hotmail,Yahoo and Gmail. The activation e-mail did not arrive to hotmail,yahoo, but did to Gmail, and my work account.

I then tried using the Vbulletin diagnostics tool because its quicker than creating new accounts. It never reported any errors for me during all these tests, which to me means Vbulletin works fine. Changing from PHPmailer to SMTP, more success; goes straight into Yahoo, Gmail, work address, but not to Hotmail UNTIL I turned the -f option off, and then it goes to Hotmails "Junk Mail" folder.

I then went to http://postmaster.msn.com/ and had a read about why e-mail might be rejected by Hotmail. There are a number of reasons, but something I could try was adding an SPF record to my DNS entries, so I did this and tried again the next day (its best to wait around 24 hours if you can).

All e-mails now reach Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail whether I use php built in mailer, or SMTP. -f option on or off. So basically........*I THINK* if you add an SPF record to your domain's DNS entry, you'll be fine.

Sorry if that was long, but thought it would be good to go through the tests I did to maybe answer somethings other people might have

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X