New US daylight saving time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't say it did have that.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The setting for "Is DST currently in effect" seems to be the controlling one.

Why did you post the userprofile location for the other DST setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Dabbler View Post
        Why did you post the userprofile location for the other DST setting?
        I was pointing out the ONLY User options available for this in vB.

Originally posted by Dabbler View Post
        HOWEVER, I do not see any way for members to individually change their own setting for "Is DST currently in effect". Nor do I recall where this is set initially (on Registration?).
        They, of course, have to set their PCs to 'Auotomatically Adjust Clock for Daylight Savings Time', or the non-Windows equivalent.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by jw0ollard View Post
          so something has to be updated in vBulletin.
          No it doesn't. vBulletin reads your computer's DST setting.

Originally posted by VodkaFish View Post
          Does vb actually read your machine for DST?
          Yes.
          Originally posted by VodkaFish View Post
          Because I had to change my own clock
          You must be either running one of these OSes:

Windows 95, 98, ME
          Mac OS 7, 8, or 9
          any other antiquated OS that does not have a patch/fix available

or you refused an automatic update for Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            They, of course, have to set their PCs to 'Auotomatically Adjust Clock for Daylight Savings Time', or the non-Windows equivalent.
            So, if I understand what you are saying, the vB setting "Is DST currently in effect" is pulled from the user's computer, and, more specifically, it depends on their 'Auotomatically Adjust Clock for Daylight Savings Time' setting?

Comment

Yes, exactly.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Got it. Thanks.

The admincp Help pop-up for the item "Is DST currently in effect" states:
                Set to "Yes" if Daylight Savings Time is currently in effect for this user's time zone. This setting can be left alone if the "Automatically detect DST settings" option is enabled.
                Wouldn't it be better if it said something like:
                Set to "Yes" if Daylight Savings Time is currently in effect for this user's time zone. This setting can be left alone if (a) the "Automatically detect DST settings" option above is enabled in vB and (b) the user's computer has 'Automatically Adjust Clock for Daylight Savings Time' (or equivalent) selected.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                  You must be either running one of these OSes:

Windows 95, 98, ME
                  Mac OS 7, 8, or 9
                  any other antiquated OS that does not have a patch/fix available

or you refused an automatic update for Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
                  Wrong. and wrong again.

Comment

So explain how your computer failed to make the requisite time change?

Comment

Originally posted by dpkm View Post
                      What is vBulletin saying as the time when you are not logged in?
                      When not logged in, it is showing the same time as when I am logged in as a member, or Admin.

Comment

There is a problem with the GMT offset due to DST that I posted over in bugs (Several times by accident). the time is correct however it puts you +1 on GMT

Example if you are in central GMT -6 and you have your clock at -6 and usercp at -6 and admincp at -6 w/ DST on at the bottom it will say "All times are GMT -5" and plop you in eastern. If you turn off DST in usercp it puts you back in -6 but you are an hour off.

On the forum here I am set to -6 and it also says "All times are GMT -5" and if you log out completely it says "All times are GMT -4" (In the middle of the ocean)

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                          So explain how your computer failed to make the requisite time change?
                          It didn't fail to do anything... I don't understand where you're getting that from??? I had the board time set to GMT -5, but it was reporting GMT -4.... and that technically is an "error". It's reporting something different from what I have it set.

What I didn't know however is that GMT actually changes with DST. So, in all technicalities, "GMT -5:00 Eastern Time (US & Canada)" in the Time Zone user options is wrong (for part of the year). I'm not saying it should be changed, I just think it's awfully confusing.

So please stop telling me my computer is somehow wrong, okay? I'm used to Arizona time, which does not follow your so-called "requisite" DST, and always remains GMT -7.

Comment

Originally posted by jw0ollard View Post
                            It didn't fail to do anything... I don't understand where you're getting that from???
                            Why are you responding to my responses to Vodka Fish's post?

Comment

GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) relates to the position of the earth relative to the sun overhead at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, England. Thus, GMT does not go on daylight savings time. If you live in an area that observes DST, your offset from GMT shifts by one hour less when on DST.

Thus US East coast, which is GMT -5, shifts to an apparent GMT -4 during DST. Likewise US West coast, normally GMT -8 shifts to GMT -7 during DST.
                              Doug Wilson
                              Administrator, Timeshare Users Group bbs

Comment

So what exactly is the fix here?

On my forum shoutbox i have timestamps and for some reason the hours are jumping around everytime someone makes a 'shout'. I'm in the westcoast so it will look normal, but when someone in the eastcoast makes a shout, the hour will switch to east coast.

I was told that i was having this problem because of the time change we have in the US.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X