Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattGreer
    replied
    If we're looking for testmonials, go to www.dreamhost.com. Sign up. Tell them Matt Greer sent you.

Leave a comment:

• antiekeradio
    replied
    everybody's looking for another web host these days, it seems.

turned out ours didn't have any reliable backup system after all. (lost over 6 months of data, because unable to make complete dumps through phpmyadmin and no SSH either.)

Leave a comment:

• FundooZone
    replied
    I guess if VB is garbage then i dont even want to think about other forum softwares

VB is Best.

I use GoDaddy as WebHost and it sucks. I am also searching for another webhost....

Leave a comment:

• n3v3rl4nd
    replied
    I decided to go with Jodo Host. Their english sucks so its hard to get support some times but they are a good host. I used them 2 years ago too.

Leave a comment:

• UncoderMom
    replied
    My take, as an EX Lunarpage customer! They are greedy and shove far to many people on one over priced server! They are trying to make the most but give the least!

They moved my site to an abuse server with out notice, it was, in there words "a non production abuse server" and that I had 7 days to find and fix my server hogging script. In English.... My site went kaput with out notice! A little tid bit, to sweeten my claim.... MY SITE WAS PHPBB! That was just before I moved to vb! So LP will stick it to you no mater what you are on! BLAH!

GO VB!

Leave a comment:

• n3v3rl4nd
    replied
    Well I talked to the support and that pre sales person was an idiot because according to their support they do allow vbulletin on their servers now.

It was older version that they thought were no good. I decided to go with another host anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by jonrodman View Post
    Hello,
    I am sure my host would say the same thing. Everytime I go to upgrade vBulletin they have to put up with me asking questions for weeks.

The upgrades are timeconsuming for my host. Everytime, I have to bother them with questions and requests every day untill I can get my forum online again.

Jon
    Why are you asking questions for weeks?

vBulletin takes 2-3 min to upgrade after the files have been uploaded.

Leave a comment:

• jonrodman
    replied
    My host would say the same thing if asked

Hello,
    I am sure my host would say the same thing. Everytime I go to upgrade vBulletin they have to put up with me asking questions for weeks.

The upgrades are timeconsuming for my host. Everytime, I have to bother them with questions and requests every day untill I can get my forum online again.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• sheryar690
    replied
    i have used tons of webhosts

from 1and1 hosting to godaddy and frankly they all suck
    but then at the price they ask i wouldnt be suprised

however finally after 5yrs of search i frankly think
    powweb is the best hosting company their is to find

for 70$ a year
    you get 40GB space
    and 26Gb a day bandwith

for a forum thats heaven
    and it has never lagged

i would recommend it any day
    http://www.powweb.com/powweb/index.bml

Leave a comment:

• TheFrienzNetwork
    replied
    You might want to try:http://dot5hosting.com/

They're great and cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Greek76
    replied
    I used to have phpbb and let me tell you it was terrible. Everything was a mission to do on it forget it. Vbulletin in my eyes is the best forum software out their none can compete with it! As for the hosts complaining about their resources being used thats their problem maybe they should have better servers!

Leave a comment:

• Jesepi
    replied
    I am sorry we do not currently and never will allow vBulletin to be ran on any of our servers as it does nothing but cause problems. It is a very poorly designed script. It is a complete resource hog. You will need to upgrade to phpBB which is a very well designed script that uses very little resources. If you need help transfering your community to phpBB we can provide you with assistance during your account setup.
    Wow, someone has an agenda

On the flip side of things, I don't allow phpbb to be installed on my host machine. This was because back when I first started to host people's websites, I repeatedly told a client of mine to move away from phpbb because it was prone to being exploited. It was ignored, till one day it did get exploited, and ended up being a total mess to clean up.

Never again. SMF if you want a free forum package to get you rolling, and then later on vbulletin if you want the (IMO) best package around. I'll help em install either

Take a hint from cpanel's cpAddon menu... phpBB is the only product listed in a red font with the lowest security rating of 1.

Leave a comment:

• rolando
    replied
    I forgot to add, the Rackspace.com support forum is vbulletin, this is an internal forum, but when one of the worlds largest server providers is using VB, then I'm happy. Thanks, rg.

Leave a comment:

• pcsb23
    replied
    One of the hosts I use (not now for a forum), who are just a small reseller have this in their forbidden scripts file

>>>
    phpBB Bulletin Board package and all associated or companion scripts or applications designed to work with phpBB. Unfortunately phpBB has been the subject of intense attack over a considerable period of time and has been compromised on many occasions over a number of versions, leading to abuse by spammers, system compromise and damage to files. The design of the software leads us to conclude that attacks and compromises are likely to continue, and that this software poses an unacceptable risk to our customers.
    <<<

some upgrade

Leave a comment:

• Andy Huang
    replied
    Yes... upgrade to phpBB and open yourself to a spew load of exploits such as the howdark exploit...

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X