Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrict posting to users registered at least X days

I was visiting a vBulletin forum and tried to post when I got this message:

"You are not allowed to post or reply until you have been registered for at least 5 days."

Sounds like a good idea... how do you do this?

Then what is the point registering. The purpose is to encourage new members and postings. This does not do that.

Bob

Comment

that sounds like a very stupid idea, as what a forums perpose is to post, why do you have to wait 5 days to do this

Comment

I see it as a way to prevent spam and one-post members. This guarantees that every posting member has been aware of your forum for at least 5 days. The point of registering is to allow yourself to post in 5 days. This also forces people to think about what they're going to say, since they're not immediately given free posting access.

Comment

Originally posted by gengar56 View Post
          I see it as a way to prevent spam and one-post members. This guarantees that every posting member has been aware of your forum for at least 5 days. The point of registering is to allow yourself to post in 5 days. This also forces people to think about what they're going to say, since they're not immediately given free posting access.
          If I joined your forum and then found I couldn't post for 5 days I'd just go join elsewhere and never come back.
          Martin Hoscik
          www.unitnews.co.uk / www.MayorWatch.co.uk

Comment

Of course. I expect that. In fact, I left the above-mentioned forum and haven't gone back since.

However, it hasn't been 5 days yet, and I find that with the kind of research I do, I typically find the same dozen or so forums over and over. So I'm sure I'll post there someday, if not this year, then next year. And for certain kinds of forums, these are exactly the kind of member they want.

Obviously, for me, I wouldn't choose 5 days, but more like 24 hours. That gives people one day to browse the forum and make sure they read the rules. From there, they become better citizens of the forum.

And for the folks who left in that 24 hours, never to return? Quite honestly, I can easily imagine a forum for which those are exactly the kind of people I never wanted in the first place.

Comment

By the way, haven't you folks heard of exclusive-membership forums, where various criteria (including payment) is required to join?

Would you rather pay $50 to join a forum, or just wait 5 days? Personally, I pick the latter-- but each can be useful, depending on the forum.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X