Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin 3.0.3 language file and vBulletin 3.6.4

Hello,

I have an old language file from vB 3.0.3 (completely translated into another language). Now I am using vBulletin 3.6.4.

Do I have copy and paste line by line of vB 3.0.3 language file to my vB 3.6.4 language file, and then translate any new word/phrase?

Or does vB have a tool that copy over the translated lines and leave the new words/phrases for me to translate?

I hope it is not as bad as I have to do the full translation again after each upgrade.

You can try the Upload Language option in the Admion CP. Just choose the 'ignore version' option. Also there are many new phrases since 3.0.3 so you will have a lot of new translating to do.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If I overwrite my vB 3.6.4 language file with my vB3.0.3 language file, will the new phrases in 3.6.4 disappear. It is like vB 3.6.4 using vB 3.03 language file, or am I missing something.

When I import vB 3.0.3 language file, does it leave the new phrases alone and only replace the phrases in 3.0.3?

Please clarify.

Comment

This depends on what the language file is. If it's a master language set then yes it will overwrite everything. If not, then no - as long as you upload it to it's own language.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

You should upload the language XML file. It will translate any phrases that are the same between vB 3.0.3 and 3.6.4. Everything else will be in English. I think trying to replace the vBulletin original language file will cause huge problems and not give you any benefit.

If you tell us what language, we can check in the Languages forum to see if there is a 3.5.x or 3.6.x language for it.

Comment

I was hoping it would do what feldon23 has said "It will translate any phrases that are the same between vB 3.0.3 and 3.6.4. Everything else will be in English." THe first thing that comes to my mind when overwriting a language file (vbulletin-language.xml) is to replace vB 3.6.4's vbulletin-language.xml with vB 3.0.3'svbulletin-language.xml. In other word, vB 3.6.4 using vB 3.0.3's vbulletin-language.xml. If that's the case, then vB 3.0.3's vbulletin-language.xml doesn't have the new phrases between vB 3.6.4 and 3.0.3.

I have checked all over vB and the place you pointed, but I couldn't find a vB 3.6.4's vbulletin-language.xml for Vietnamese.

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Forum View Post
              If that's the case, then vB 3.0.3's vbulletin-language.xml doesn't have the new phrases between vB 3.6.4 and 3.0.3.
              This would mean PHP errors all over the place as dozens of phrases are missing. Missing is worse than English if you ask me. You can't re-add missing phrases. You can translate English.

I have checked all over vB and the place you pointed, but I couldn't find a vB 3.6.4's vbulletin-language.xml for Vietnamese.
              It appears that 3.0.3 is the latest.

I would install the language pack through the control panel and then start translating. In a perfect world, Jelsoft would sponsor (pay) people to translate vBulletin into other languages and keep those translations up-to-date. Even a free license to whomever submits the most complete, best translation of each language would be a nice gift.

Comment

If I overwrite vb 3.6.4 vblanguage-language.xml with vb 3.0.3 vblanguage-language.xml using Import Language XML File method, then it will translate any phrases that are the same between vB 3.0.3 and 3.6.4 and leave the rest in english for me to translate, right?

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Upload / Download Languages -> Import Language XML File.

Comment

If I overwrite vb 3.6.4 vblanguage-language.xml
                  Why do you think you are overwriting the vblanguage-language.xml file?

This is NOT what importing does!

vBulletin supports multiple languages in the same install. Import a language and it is ADDED to English and any existing Languages.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X