Clear All

• Database Marking

Whats the best option?

Inactivity/Cookie Based
    Database (no automatic forum marking)
    Database (automatic forum marking)

Thanks

Database (automatic forum marking)
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks steve, question is, why isnt this default on a new vB install?

Comment

Honestly I don't know why. Personally I think it should be but there may be reasons why the Devs have not made it the default. I'll ask them.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I thought it was the default since vBulletin 3.5? I guess a lot of users are not getting the full experience of vBulletin then. :|

Maybe there needs to be a "Wizard" setup or a list of recommended features or some kind of page that tells people "We have turned off some features because they may not work for some busy forums or certain users, but most forums choose to turn these on."

For instance the WYSIWYG editor is off by default, isn't it? And I understand why (language issues, certain users with older browsers), but most forums can safely turn it on and leave it a user option.

Comment

"Database (automatic forum marking)" is also the most server intensive. If you try to run it on a very active board it can choke your server.

Personally, I like how the cookie option works. When I time out, everything is marked as read.
            Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Also another thing, why have options which can cause table locking? Like 'Last post in users profile' I would use this but theres that warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Reece^B View Post
                Also another thing, why have options which can cause table locking? Like 'Last post in users profile' I would use this but theres that warning.
                Because they don't have much of an effect on smaller boards. I also believe that those queries are sent to the slave DB server if you have one (which prevents table locking).

Comment

How do slave DB's actually work? If the main goes down it switches to slave?

Comment

Originally posted by Reece^B View Post
                    How do slave DB's actually work? If the main goes down it switches to slave?
                    No, if either DB server goes down then your site starts spitting out DB errors. The benefit to using a master/slave setup is that many of the read-only queries are sent to the slave server so that they cannot be blocked by writes to the primary DB server.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                      Honestly I don't know why. Personally I think it should be but there may be reasons why the Devs have not made it the default. I'll ask them.
                      Any luck?

Comment

It's probably because the performance is poor on a large and active forum.

Comment

Yes, it's off by default for possible performance issues.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Really ? I would have thought that if using DB marking causes you performance issues then you are on the verge of collapse anyway.
                            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                              Really ? I would have thought that if using DB marking causes you performance issues then you are on the verge of collapse anyway.
                              No, that "feature" is a beast on larger boards.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X