Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a moderator ban me from my own forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a moderator ban me from my own forum?

Hi there,

I have a question. My moderators are able to ban users and, while poking around in the moderator CP, I wanted to see if a moderator could ban me, the administrator. I was able to type in my username but was too chicken to push the "Ban User" button for fear it would actually ban me. Can moderators actually ban me from my own website? If so, how can I disable this feature?

Thanks!
    Sherry

They can, but I think if you place your userid number into the 'undeletable users' variable in your config.php file, they shouldn't be able to do this anymore.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

By default a (Super) Moderator can not ban an Administrator.
      Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
      Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

How do I find the config.php file and put my Admin user id # in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
          How do I find the config.php file and put my Admin user id # in it?
          If your USERID is #1(Admin) then its there by default if not then you'd need FTP access to D\L the config.php file to edit it and then upload it back to the server.

Comment

By default a (Super) Moderator can not ban an Administrator.

The config.php file is found in the /forum/includes/ folder. There should also be a config.php.new file which was intended to be edited to make the config.php file, but you should atleast have one namee config.php. Download it through FTP access and examine it in a text editor.

If you are using the current version of vBulletin, there is a provision in the config file which reads:

// ****** UNDELETABLE / UNALTERABLE USERS ******
            // The users specified here will not be deletable or alterable from the control panel by any users.
            // To specify more than one user, separate userids with commas.
            $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = '';

Place your userid number between the two single quotes like this:

$config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = '1';

If YOUR userid is listed there, your access and privileges can NOT be modified from the adminCP.

If you are the user who installed vBulletin on the server, you would have userid #1. If you did not set up vBulletin on the server, you probably have some other number.

You can see your userid in the URL when you put your mouse over your username or click your profile on your own forum. Put that userid between the quote marks and save the file and re-upload it back to the /includes/ folder on your server where your forum is located.

Generally, you can also see you userid by checking the "userid" table with phpMyAdmin.

More documentation on the config file:http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/editconfig

Regards,
            Last edited by slappy; Sun 24th Dec '06, 7:27pm.
            Slappy

Comment