Intermittent quick reply/edit issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent quick reply/edit issues

Several of my users have been seeing an issue with quick-reply and quick-edit (more often quick-reply). It seems to not be unique to networks (one user has seen it at home and at work) or browser (IE and Firefox users have reported it). I recently upgraded from 3.5.3 (yeah, I was behind) to 3.6.4, and people are reporting that they saw it before the upgrade as well (including me).

The issue is that occasionally, you click on the submit button for either quick-reply or quick-edit, and nothing happens. The page appears to be trying to load indefinitely. The data never gets written to the database as, if you give up and refresh the page, the post is not there/not edited. If you give up and click "go advanced", everything works fine.

Some users report that after a refresh, the quick-reply/edit will work, others report that they need to restart the browser for quick-reply/edit to work again once they see the issue.

And it's all intermittent. It works most of the time, but pops up occasionally. I have yet to find a common factor. Even on the same computer, I've never seen it under my profile, but my wife has under her profile.

Any ideas? Known issue? Some sort of browser setting issue?

I do have several modifications, so I suppose I need to explore that. Just curious if there's something known about the AJAX system or something that might be causing this, or that might give me a hint as to where to look to find the problem.

This happened to me with some earlier versions. I'd upgrade to 3.6.4.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      This happened to me with some earlier versions. I'd upgrade to 3.6.4.
      Originally posted by BaconDelight
      I recently upgraded from 3.5.3 (yeah, I was behind) to 3.6.4
      I am at 3.6.4 and it seems to be even more prevalent as enough people are seeing it regularly enough to say something now.

(oh, I bet you looked at my profile and saw v3.0.1. Oops, I suppose I should update that)

Comment

Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then tell these users to change to this style and view your forums with it. Do they have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then tell these users to change to this style and view your forums with it. Do they have the same problem?
          Great suggestion, I'll be back with the results.

ETA: Ha! Irony. I think it just happened to me here. I clicked, Post Quick Reply, the "Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait" with the animated loading gif came up, but nothing happened until I hit "stop" and clicked submit again. I'm running Firefox 2.0.
          Last edited by BaconDelight; Fri 15 Dec '06, 9:43am.

Comment

Not sure what to recommend then. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

So, this is still an issue for me. None of my members have gotten back to me whether resetting the templates helped or not.

If this isn't a known issue, could someone at least point me to some likely reasons this might be suddenly popping up? What templates and/or php files are involved in the Quick Reply/Quick Edit posting operation so that I can start narrowing the issue down?

Comment

I've got exactly the same issue since upgrading to 3.6.4 today, tried blank style, switched off all hacks/plugins, error occurs on windows/mac/XP firefox, ie and safari. its also occuring on my test server which was upgraded to 3.6.4

it only happens when a user clicks QR9quick reply) they type in their reply, press "post quick reply" you see the animated graphic then get an error message just above the QR input box like this below. you don't think reply has been submitted but when you revisit thread its there. post reply and quote function perfectly, i've tried not requiring click for QR but that makes no difference, i'm now having to switch the QR function off to stop user frustration, they can't work out what is going on
                Quick Reply The following errors occurred when this message was submitted Okay

Comment

Are you maybe using vBSEO?
                  Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                  Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

No vBSEO on my board.

Comment

nor me, got a few hacks but i've tried disabling them and plugins....

Comment

Check if all files are at default at:
                        AdminCP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

think i may have it, i had 2 v3.5 languages installed, uk and my own dialect geordie, i've deleted them on my test server and seem to have normal qr posting.

Comment

OK i now have the answer to this - neither of my custom languages had the ISO character set defined in Language Manager settings, i've now added the ISO character code (ISO-8859-1) to that input box and the problem is solved.

It might be worth including that this code is needed for full functionality in the Admin CP/language manager/ for anyone importing .

Comment

A wrong HTML Characterset will very likely break a lot of AJAX functions (like QR).

Comment