No announcement yet.

Site loads so slow! (vBulletin) issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site loads so slow! (vBulletin) issue.

Anyone else having a lag issue with 3.6.4? My load time for pages is 5-10 seconds. Which is horrible. Its not my hosting server, so I ruled that out. Could it be the sql database server is just lagging? or what? or has anyone else had an issue like this?

I actually had the opposite happen. Once I upgraded my forums to 3.6.4 they all seemed quite a bit snappier.

In any case, back to your problem, what is the load like on your server?
    Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

How are you positive its not your hosting provider?

Comment

Well, my hosting is with GoDaddy. My other sites load fast as hell, with no problem. Its just that vBulletin loads so slow. All the html and images are hosted on godaddy and so is the sql server.

Should I try to use a different sql hosting company to see if it speeds up any?

Comment

Originally posted by Extremist View Post
          Well, my hosting is with GoDaddy. My other sites load fast as hell, with no problem. Its just that vBulletin loads so slow. All the html and images are hosted on godaddy and so is the sql server.

Should I try to use a different sql hosting company to see if it speeds up any?
          GoDaddy's hosting sucks for DB driven sites, you'll want to find someone else.
          Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
            GoDaddy's hosting sucks for DB driven sites, you'll want to find someone else.
            Maybe, maybe not. Your experience may vary and mine is pretty good most of the tiime.

I have spent the better part of the weekend seeking other options for hosting. Everyone -- everyone -- has a limitation of one sort or another. 1and1.com, for example, is listed by RealMetrics as having great uptime, and very good speed, but other reports -- including one by the BBB -- show miserable customer service, and I've read lots of complaints about poor uptime. In fact, it comes across as downright dishonest, which seems peculiar as this is a large, publicly-traded corporation.

Other hosting services that offer fairly low prices and large bandwidth seem to have mixed reviews, though not as bad.

For now, I'm sticking with GoDaddy. But if someone can show me another alternative with the following, I'll consider changing:
            1. High bandwidth, at least two terabytes per month via shared hosting.
            2. Reasonable limits on MySQL database size.
            3. Dedicated IP number.
            4. Free or low-cost SSL certificates.
            5. Decent customer support via phone 24/7.
            6. Good uptime.
            7. Good performance.
            Since GoDaddy charges extra for decent-sized mailboxes, my email is hosted by Webmail.us. They offer IMAP with SSL, minimum of 1 gigabyte mailboxes, and stellar customer service. Their spam filters are the best I've ever seen, with the fewest errors, and rarely is there a phishing pitch among them.

Peace,
            Gene Steinberg
            Co-Host, The Paracast
            www.theparacast.com

Comment

Giving people two terabytes of transfer in a SHARED hosting environment is the exact problem with GoDaddy.

GoDaddy has been proven time and again to have problems with DB driven sites. You can take the stance that we are wrong and it must be an issue with vB and continue to have issues or you can change hosts to one that isn't overselling servers and transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by mrwuss View Post
                Giving people two terabytes of transfer in a SHARED hosting environment is the exact problem with GoDaddy.

GoDaddy has been proven time and again to have problems with DB driven sites. You can take the stance that we are wrong and it must be an issue with vB and continue to have issues or you can change hosts to one that isn't overselling servers and transfer.
                So there's no misunderstanding, since you're responding to the bandwidth issue: I am not saying you folks are wrong. But understand that I have four database-driven sites hosted by them, and I only rarely have performance issues; our vBulletin setup runs quite fast, speedier than the SMF forum I ran previously on the site in question.

Now it may be that they are not large enough to bog down the servers yet, although one of those sites has over 500,000 page views a month, which is certainly a medium size in the scheme of things.

I also use Dedicated IP numbers, which seems to help.

However, I can well understand where a forum with lots of embedded graphics might present a problem.

Also, if you are attracting a high level of traffic, you might be better off with a dedicated server, or buying a fast Linux box or an Xserve and colocating.

The reason I did this search is because I know our needs are going to be expanding greatly in 2007, and I wanted to see if there was a hosting provider that could offer a better overall package -- that is before we are forced to go dedicated.

Peace,
                Gene Steinberg
                Co-Host, The Paracast
                www.theparacast.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X