bring an old forum to a copy on our new site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bring an old forum to a copy on our new site

We have an existing forum that we'd like to port over to a new website that we've made.
    I've already set up the new (upgraded to 3.6.4 from 3.6.3) vbulletin on the new site but I wouldn't be opposed to just bringing over the old forum first and then doing the upgrade since I'm having so much trouble trying to do it myself.

Please help, I've been working on this for the last 3 hours!

Bring the old forum to the new server, then upgrade.

Comment

Yes, that's what I'd like to do. What are the specific steps? I am new to this. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by star J View Post
        Yes, that's what I'd like to do. What are the specific steps? I am new to this. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Thanks
        the upgrade is pretty much click and go...if you don't have any style options or serious hacks installed it will perform the upgrade for you. The install.php looks for an existing VB install in the database - if it is there or sees that VB tables it WILL ask if you want to perform a UPGRADE

just go with the defaults and you should be fine - afterwards you can set styles for your users...

HTH

Comment

Yes, there is complete documentation in the vBulletin User Manual on how to move a vBulletin forum to a new server.

Comment

I am having a miserable time with this. I made a complete copy of the database and put it on the new server. Then I copied all the files and placed them on the new server. But I'm getting errors all over the place. Is there a specific file that I should look at? Perhaps one that might not transfer from one site to another. I already fixed config.php so that it has the appropriate information.

Is there an effective way to move my site without using obscure command lines? Also, when I ftp in I cannot find the filed called "dump.sql." where should I look for that?

Please Help!
            Last edited by star J; Mon 11 Dec '06, 3:22pm. Reason: had another question

Comment

Errors on which step? What are the errors?

Comment

Posting error messages is really the best thing you can do to help us diagnose problems.

Comment

I'm just getting a "Database Error" page. I have a feeling it has something to do with the Cookies not being reset or something like that. I saw a warning in the manual to that effect.

Where do I go and reset the cookie files?

The exact steps that I have done are:

1. I made a copy of the database on the old server and then uploaded that to our new server.
                  2. I moved all the files via ftp from the old site to the new site which essentially duplicates the old site on the new server.
                  3. I fixed the config.php file to reflect the new DB name and login details.

When I go to mysite.com/forum/index.php it just says "Database Error."

Comment

The source code of that page should have a more detailed error.

Comment

Here is a link to the page:

http://www.outposthosting.com/~solution/forums/index.php

Comment

If there is some output that you would like me to add to the source code I can do that.

Just tell me how I can help you help me. I appreciate the help.

Comment

ok, I figured out that I must have had a typo in my config file. Now my site comes up but none of the logging in works which basically renders my site useless.

Could this be a result of the cookies not working properly with the transfer? We're using a different url and everything.

Thanks

Comment

Note that you can't import a backup database on top of an existing installed vbulletin database. You have to import it to a new database (the backup that is) and then upload the 3.6.4 files and run upgrade.php

If you wish to import the data from an older forum on top of an existing forum you have to install impex on the new forum and point it to the database of the older forum. It will then be able to import the data such as threads, posts, members, etc.

Comment

I did load the database as a new one. I also brought all the old files over fresh and basically tried to mirror the old site on the new server.

However, I am not able to login! Everything else looks fine, but I cannot login to the admin or the site.

How can I fix that?

Thanks

Comment