Promotion abuse - a short story - need answer though what can be done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion abuse - a short story - need answer though what can be done

Long story short, I think an old admin regained access to our site somehow either by HTML script or the like...I've since turned off all HTML allowances..

Anyways, looks like he turned on the promotion script to change every user every hour who has been registered for more than 30 days from a registered (no permissions) to a Paid user - our board is 100% pay to play

Anyway, this took place on Oct 24 and I just noticed it today as it was a slow trickle before the membership payment started seeming off and the usergroup became corrupted somehow..not sure on that last one but the usergroups weren't reverting after subscription expiration like they should have and the cron was working and the footer templete unmodified

Needless to say, I cleaned up the users, reassigned a new usergroup, pruned the users to the new group, deleted the old group and got the permissions working again along with the subscriptions. 12 hours later [ahhhh!!!!!!]

So Question:

How can I shut off the promotion system so this doesn't happen again?

I have already password blocked and secured everything I can think of..any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

running 3.6.3

<Moved to correct forum.>

Just delete your Propmotions.

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Promotions -> Delete
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I wish it was so simple, and this is not the forums' softwares' fault, but let say this unsavory character were able to get into the forum admin software through fraudulent means, is there any way I could just get rid of the promotion system without altering the code or is that better found on vbulletin.org

Seems as this individual would rather see the site fail on a chaos level than total destruction an the promotion system gave him the perfect opportunity unfortunately

Comment

re you sayting that people are gaingin access to your Admin CP to set up new promotions after you have deleted them? If so you have much bigger problems than can be fixed by a change in code.

Please see this thread on how to make your vBulletin more secure:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172234

If that is not the case, then deleting the existing promotions will do exactly what you want.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve

Comment

If you never use promotions then delete the cron job in scheduled tasks. Then it won't matter if anyone adds one as it won't be run anyway.
            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Hey thanks..that's more of what I was looking for

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X