Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IP addresses behind a proxy/loadbalancer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP addresses behind a proxy/loadbalancer?

So,

Today our host switched us to a new loadbalancer that masks a clients real IP address.

The clients IP is forwarded in the _SERVER["HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR"] header.

Needless to say, they didn't tell us about this, and it is a real pain in the butt for us as all of our regs, posts, etc today are via this IP address.

I haven't delved into the code yet, but have you guys run into this before? Is there an easy way to make vB look at this var instead of REMOTE_ADDR?
    Kyle Christensen
    PbNation.com - one of the biggest and busiest vbulletin forums on the net!

Originally posted by KrON View Post
    So,

Today our host switched us to a new loadbalancer that masks a clients real IP address.

The clients IP is forwarded in the _SERVER["HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR"] header.

Needless to say, they didn't tell us about this, and it is a real pain in the butt for us as all of our regs, posts, etc today are via this IP address.

I haven't delved into the code yet, but have you guys run into this before? Is there an easy way to make vB look at this var instead of REMOTE_ADDR?
    For now, I just hacked the fetch_ip() function to:

return $this->fetch_alt_ip();

Which isn't an optimal solution, is there a reason this isn't an option if fetch_alt_ip() exists?
    Kyle Christensen

Comment

Hi Kron,

I am facing the same problem too. Now i have modified httpd.conf so that it would log the real client IP address which was stored in the http header.

But how do i make vbulletin to look for it?

It seems that vbulletin does not find the client source based on the log file.

Thanks
      Edy

Comment

Easiest thing to do is to just overwrite REMOTE_ADDR with HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR in config.php, if it's set. As the latter is spoofable, we don't use it as the only source of session validation.

If you're using Apache, mod_rpaf does exactly what you're looking for at the Apache level. Everything that uses REMOTE_ADDR will pick this up, including (I believe) mod_access controls. Though I believe you will need to turn off KeepAlives on the backend servers.

Comment

I ended up complaining so much that our host went back to the manufacturer and found a solution that doesn't mess with the client IPs.

At any rate, the solution I suggested above was working OK for us.
          Kyle Christensen

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X