Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make posts in certain threads appear in reverse order ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make posts in certain threads appear in reverse order ?

I want to make it so that the posts in certain threads appear in reverse order; in that new posts would appear at the beginning instead of the end of the thread.

I'm thinking it should be a matter of simply using a "if/then" statement for those particular threadids, making a special forum where threads go like that by default or something, but I dont know.

There is no built-in feature to do what you want.

I just wrote a plugin which lets you add order=DESC to the end of the thread URL, but it's useless because the pagination at the top of each thread (Page 1 of 4 | <| | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >| |, etc.) doesn't respect the page ordering. You would have to make an edit to showthread.php and possibly other files to do what you want.

Maybe in a future version of vBulletin?
    Last edited by feldon23; Thu 9th Nov '06, 8:19am.

Comment

^

Are you saying that your plug-in would work for threads that only have one page?

If that's the case, would it be possible to make threads with more than one page appear the way it does down on the Topic Review (Newest First) section when someone replies to a thread here on the vBulletin.com forum; in that it'll display the first page in reverse order, but prompt you to "Click here to review the whole thread" in normal (oldest-first) order?

Comment

Yes, it would work for threads that only have 1 page.

Comment

From what I read this option existed in the past, some years ago. Why was it removed? It's so useful, and so many people ask for this...

The problem with plugins and hacking is that they can stop working after a Vb update, and what will happen then, if the plugin isn't updated? :/
          Find peace in your heart, and make the most out of it. Share your good fortune with the others.

Comment

No, this option never existed in any version of vB.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

in vb2.x.x you could set this from the admincp........vbulletin ptions....Thread display options.........Order of posts within a thread.....and select newest or oldest first.
              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76007

This was in 2003, and I never saw this myself.... but there are lots of users there saying that they had "newest posts first".

It would be great to do this from the AdminCP. Using an hack, we never know if it will work in the next update... and if the coder isn't around, the forum will be broken
              Find peace in your heart, and make the most out of it. Share your good fortune with the others.

Comment

This was never a feature in vB, unless I don't understand what you are saying. I doublechecked with a vB 2.3.6 test forum I have access to.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuno Oliveira View Post
                  http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76007

This was in 2003, and I never saw this myself.... but there are lots of users there saying that they had "newest posts first".

It would be great to do this from the AdminCP. Using an hack, we never know if it will work in the next update... and if the coder isn't around, the forum will be broken
                  2.x, 3.x, 3.5.x, and 3.6.x all allow users to set the order that posts are displayed when viewing threads. It's not per-thread or per-forum but affects the entire site for that user.

However there is no hack for any version of vB that lets admins set the order of posts per-thread or per-forum. Not quite sure why. It would require changing a few IF statements.
                  Last edited by feldon23; Mon 20th Nov '06, 2:18pm.

Comment

That user, back in 2003, was mentioning an hack? Oh He didn't said anything about that. I thought it was a default option in the panel like he mentioned.
                    I really didn't want to install any hack, I like to have my VB as is, but if it's the only way... I don't even want paid addons, because I don't know for how long they will be supported.
                    But VB is here to stay, and that is why I trust them. I like to only have software that is always secure, protected against vulnerabilities, and always working. I'm tired of addons that break after an update, and the coder is gone...

Thank you for your attention.

Comment

My mistake. It was a built-in feature of 2.x also.

I wrote a Plugin in response to the original post but it didn't work very well. I suppose I could spend more time on it to keep it from breaking because of pagination and searching. It doesn't modify any files.

Comment

Your plugin always work unregarding alterations made to VB? I don't mind the pagination issue. I just set the number of posts per thread to 40 or 50.
                        That could be a nice possibility
                        That way I could offer an entire forum, inside my community, so that each member can have their own diary/journal, no need for a blog or something else.

Thank you!

Comment

I want to make it so that the posts in certain threads appear in reverse order; in that new posts would appear at the beginning instead of the end of the thread.

I'm thinking it should be a matter of simply using a "if/then" statement for those particular threadids, making a special forum where threads go like that by default or something, but I dont know.
                          I'm upping this thread because it's been a year and I still dont know how to do this.

Comment

Working...
                          X