Anyone know MySQL well? Help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know MySQL well? Help please?

I'm just trying to do a fresh install again.

I'm not sure how or what I need to do. MySQL is installed and when I run the vB install.php it just says "Access denied for user 'SloppyGoat'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

Why is it saying that? I entered my correct password in the config.php. What does this mean??? What did I screw up?
    The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

If you entered the correct info then it works.

Make sure the user trying to access the database has full access to the database or full access to all databases on the server.

Comment

How do I do that? Right now, I finally got it installed and running, but I can't access the database and have no idea why or how to create a user. All I get is errors.

Comment

Have you created the user "SloopyGoat" in MySQL?

Download the opensource SQLyog from http://www.webyog.com. With SQLyog, you can control MYSQL.

Comment

No, I didn't exactly know how to create the user, but ended up doing it using DBManager. Then I had to grant privileges from the mysql command prompt through the root logon. Man, I hate messing with databases! I'm just not very familiar with the commands and how to use them. I've done some of this years ago, but you forget if you don't do it all the time, eh? LOL Thanks for your reply. I'll get that program too and check it out.

Comment

If your webhost were running cPanel or Plesk, then it wouldn't require commandline to do this.

Comment

I am running my own server. I don't use a webhost. So, the options are pretty much limitless. I like it that way. Anyway, I have several db managers installed now, and it shouldn't be an issue now.

Comment

I have my own server, but to save my sanity, I had them put cPanel/WHM on it. I do about 50% by SSH commandline and about 50% by cPanel/WHM.

It's nice to upgrade Apache/PHP by clicking a dozen checkboxes and hitting "Go".

On the other hand, it's great to chown -R feldon23:feldon23 *

I transferred a 2GB website from one server to another by commandline FTP. Took less than 2 hours to transfer 2GB from one dedicated host to another.

Comment

Yeah, well I'm not a fan of Apache because, from my experience, vB just runs faster on IIS, not to mention the learning curve to Apache. I actually set up my test forum on Apache, then decided I didn't like it. Once vB's archive feature finally supported IIS, I see no reason to kill myself trying to get Apache running again. So, I set up the new forum on IIS6. I like it, so far. Of course, it'll be awhile before I go live with it. I have tons of tweaking and configuring to do.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X