• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments not recognised by browser

I've just upgraded to 3.6.0, from 3.5.3
    We run our forum on a close intRAnet.
    Unhacked version of vBulletin.

Previously had no issues with attachments in posts. User sucessfully clicks on attachments, browsers recognises document (99% of our attachments are MS Word .doc files), and opens it.

Since upgrade user now only presented with 'save' dialogue. What has changed between 3.5.3 and 3.6.0 that is causing the browser not to recognise the attachments.

I've tested with other types (eg, .txt files), and all have the same problem. Attached image shown the problem with Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Attached Files

This is changed behaviour with IE 6.0 due to a security vulnerability in IE, that would allow to run arbitrary code when viewing such documents.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

IE 6.0.2900 is the version I have installed. The majority of people around the company have IE 5.5 installed and they are also experiencing the problem.

Nothing has changed on the users PCs between vBulletin up issues. Something must have changed with the way vB is sending the attachments perhaps??

Comment

The vulnerability is as far as i know present in all IE versions.

The change in vBulletin was done to prevent this vulnerability to be exploited. See also the announcement: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...51&postcount=5
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I have your patched version of attachments.php already installed.

I’m sorry Marco, but think your missing the point of my problem. It appears the patch is what’s causing the issue. Clicking on attachment links within threads brings up a ‘save’ popup, and NOT an ‘open’, ‘save’ (what do you want to do…) type popup. See image above.

What do I need to do, in allow users to view attachments, with IE 5.5 and IE 6.0 from within vBulletin?

Comment

That's what Marco said. To fix the security issue, this issue has to be accepted.
            I know Mike was looking into a similiar issue once, so it's possible that it'll work better with 3.6.1
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

In the meantime before 3.6.1, would it be possible to get a copy of pre4th-Aug attachments.php, to alleviate the problem I'm experiencing?

Comment

That would open serious vulnerabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
                  That would open serious vulnerabilities.
                  Which I'm prepared to take...

Remember we run our forum on a 'closed' intRAnet, in a company environment.

As it stands now, the attachment functionality is appalling.

Comment

You can download previous versions of vBulletin from the members area, though I can't guarantee that they'll work.
                    Best Regards
                    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

A diff-merge between versions 3.5.5 and 3.6.0, of attachments.php, highlight a vast amount of changes (17 in fact).

I’m not keen on installing a version of attachments.php from a previous release to run with 3.6.0.

Could I get a copy of the pre 4th-August (pre security announcement), 3.6.0 release of attachments.php please?

Comment

Most likely not, we do no provide beta code once the software has gone gold.

Comment

PS - Would it help if I raised a support ticket?
                          http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                            Most likely not, we do no provide beta code once the software has gone gold.
                            The software went Gold on the 3rd, that's the version of attachments.php I'm after, not Beta!

Come on, I'm in a right pickle here, with dozens of users complaining about this new 'feature' of vBulletin and currently have no solution for them.

Comment

I've not seen dozens of users complaing about this at all, infact I've not even see this problem here on vBulletin.com.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X