Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of questions - THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions - THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I just installed the forum software yesterday and its great, although I do have some questions.

1. How do you as a admin give people custom titles?

2 How do you show posters on the left side of the thread instead of the top?

3. How do you change the welcome information on the index page near the top?

4. How do you show stars under the persons avatar, like if there a beginner theres only 1 star underneath, and 2 for advanced member etc..?

5. How do you setup rss feed on your forum?

6. I just made all the forums and made most of the settings I want, how do I backup it all up?

Thanks in advance.

1. Open their profile in the Admin CP and type the title in the Custom Title box. You can ale give them permissions to use their own custom titles in Usergroup permissions.

2. This is an option in the Admin CP:

Admin CP -> vBulletion Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Use Legacy (Vertical) Postbit Template -> Yes

3. All language is in Phrases. Do a 'Search in Phrases' for the specific language you are looking for, then edit the appropriate Phrase.

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Search in Phrases

Note: To edit a phrase, place the new phrase in the available language text boxes.

4. User Ranks are used to add images for specific users and usergroups.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/user_ranks

5. Backup your vB files, and backup your database.

Note: The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

If you don't have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:
    http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/index.php

MySQLHotxcopy:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...t=mysqlhotcopy

Bigdump:
    http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

P.S. Six is not 'a couple' unless you're into polygamy.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hey thankyou very much, just a few more questions on those questions.

3. Which phrase is the welcome phrase in the forum home page, the one just under the logo?

4. I can now see how to do that, but does vbulletin come with any stars that I can use or do I have to make or find them somewhere else? p.s. I would like all members to have stars, 1 star being lowest poster 5 stars being highest poster.

Thanks alot.

Comment

3. What do you weant to change exactly?

4. You will have to find and provide your own images.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

3. At the home page theres the "Welcom to MY SITE" and under that is welcome to the site take a look at the faq, ..... It only appears when members are logged out or guest are viewing the HOME page.

4. Do you know anyplace I could get them?

Comment

3. Do a 'Search in Phrases' for the first few words of the language and page you want to change, i.e., 'If this is your first visit'. Then edit the appropriate phrase.

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Search in Phrases

4. Nope. Try Google.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

3. Thankyou very much, found it and changed it.

Comment

Q 5 wasn't answered (RSS feeds), instead, Q6 was answered as Q5...

So, without intending to step on toes, I'm gonna shove my big backside in and answer it!
                  (finally, I'm of use)

First, enter you AdminCP and scroll down the left-side menu until you see the menu "RSS FEEDS", as highlighted in the attached file 1.jpg.
                  Then, select "ADD NEW RSS FEED". You'll want to go to a location that supplies feeds, in my example I'm using the Google news RSS feed, as shown in the attached file 2.jpg

From the RSS right-click menu, select "COPY LINK LOCATION" and then return to the AdminCP/RSS FEED page. Manually add the information and paste the URL from your selected RSS URL (i.e. Google) - (right click inside the entrybox and select paste/CTRL+V).
                  Once you've set up the other details (keywords, username, etc.) give it a test run using the 'PREVIEW FEED' button at the very bottom of the page. If you see results, congratulations, your rss feed is 100% good-to-go!
                  Attached Files
                  VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
                  No Addons - none at all.

Comment

#5 was answered. The problem is that I answered the question in my head rather than the one he wrote. Nonetheless I did provide a great answer to the one in my head.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X