Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer category from 3.5.4 to 3.6.0 forum

I'd like to transfer two categories from a 3.5.4 forum to a 3.6.0 forum
    Any tips on the best way to achieve this?

Cheers...

You cannot import partial data. You would first need to remove all the data from the 3.5.4 forum that you don't want to import.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hello Steve, assuming all the data that would not be imported has been removed, could you provide details as to how to transfer the remaining data?

Cheers.

Comment

You run Impex as normal.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Would it be possible to create a temporary category in the new forum called Old Forum to which the entire forum data - categories and posts would be transferred? That way, I can take my time to move old categories/posts into new ones and not worry about overwriting existing ones.

I'm grasping here.

Comment

As I said you cannot do a partial import. Please see post #2.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I understood. My question is, can I import an ENTIRE (not partial data) forum into a category on a new forum?

Comment

If I owned vbulletin... would it be possible to create a new forum and import the entire VB forum into a category called "Backups" for example?

Comment

Not sure I understand. If you have one forum, then that's what will be imported along with the posts and threads for that forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

OK.. I already set up a new forum 3.6.0 -- transferred users from a 3.5.4 version and set up new categories because I'd been told that data could not be imported from the old forum (before I started this thread)
                    The reason I had to do a completely new installation instead of an upgrade was because the old forum had been totally modified/hacked to bridge between several components I used at that time -- a penpals site, a directory and article manager. It was a huge mess and it was simply better to start clean - or so I reasoned.

Now, I have the 3.5.4 forum (currently turned off) and the live 3.6.0 installation. Some members are upset that they've lost all their posts and so I thought perhaps it would be possible to create a category in the new forum and import the entire contents of the old forum into this category and from there, I'll take on the tedious task of transferring content from that backup forum into appropriate categories.

My heads about to explode! I thought this would be an easier task.

Comment

Can someone please tell me in lay person's language how to import an entire 3.5.4 forum into a 3.6.0 forum without deleting categories and posts in the new forum?

Comment

Importing data will not overwrite the categories and posts that are already there.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks Steve! I'll back up and give it a shot.
                          Cheers!

Comment

Success!

At last, we've been able to import data from the 3.5.4 board to the 3.6.0 forum!

All seems fine so far except for the following.

The newest member shows a member who registered on the old board in 2005.
                            And when that user's name is clicked as well as all imported users, it shows: Last Profile Update: 12-31-1969

I've updated counters and repaired/optimized tables, but that information just stays the same. I'm removed all impex usergroups and still no change.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X