Move thread not available after upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move thread not available after upgrade

Last night, in less than 24 hours, vB upgraded us to 3.6 from 3.5.4.

Why can't I see move threads as super admin?

Is this a revert issue. Which revert, and how do you do the revert. Please point me to a good article, thread.

tia

Yes, you need to revert your templates. There should be a message at the top of the Admin CP stating this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Now this is interesting.

I set up a local test forum, and upgraded from 3.5.4 to 3.6.0 and tried it out some.
      Yes, lots of templates to "revert", or rather rewrite. (Grr).
      But then i moved the test forum to a new server that we are planning on using, reconfigured url etc. stuff, and then me and the other admin/supermods did a little crunch test on that new server. And ... "Swoooup" - The move threads menu choice disappeared.

Yikes!

Had a look at the original test site, and it's still there. Had a look into the logs to see if any of my friends did an "april fools" on me, but no.

The "move thread" menu choice had gone to oblivion. Or possibly "template hell".

Scary.

Did some diagnostivs on the db. Could not find any reason for it to disappear in the move.

Comment

Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then change to this style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ah, yes. Thats how it is set up. One "vBulletin default style" and then our local style with no parent style, (goes back to the "hidden" default style).
          So i guess we accidently tested that already.

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand your last message. Please explain.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Clarification:
              Our forum style is set up with two branches. One is the "clean" vBulletin 3 style, and the other is the style that we use.
              The "clean" style is user selectable if there is something wrong with the default style.

They are ordered like this:
              Code:
              vBulletin 3
              --- vBulletin 3 with only addition of entry points to picture gallery and such
              Red2Black
              --- Our customized default style based on R2B with all bells and whistles configured
              Teststyle that is composition of R2B and our customized default style
              The thing is, that when enabling DEBUG, one gets to se it like this instead:
              Code:
              MASTER STYLE
              --- vBulletin 3
              --- --- vBulletin 3 with only addition of entry points to picture gallery and such
              --- Red2Black
              --- --- Our customized default style based on R2B with all bells and whistles configured
              --- Teststyle that is composition of R2B and our customized default style
              Thus i consider the MASTER STYLE being a "hidden" style.
              And so we have implicit done the test you requested.

N.B. The Teststyle is only admin selectable.

Comment

Still unclear. Did you follow my suggestion in post #4 or not? You shhould not have these problems with the original vB code and templates.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes. You're correct. Looking into the MASTER STYLE i can see the menu item for moving thread.

So why did it zap the default style then?

Inheritance is not blocked in the "style tree" for that item. And even so - Why did it go away?

Edit: Typo
                  Last edited by Marsupilami; Sat 26 Aug '06, 10:42pm.

Comment

The 'default' style is just a name. It can be modifed and changed like any other style.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Come to think about it, i've noticed a bug in the handling of phrasing that has to do with exporting and reimporting XML for a translation when the translated language (swedish) is selected for the admin doing the export/import.

Seems some of the XML get translated into nonsense this way.
                      In such way that you get an error when reimporting the saved translation XML.

I haven't reported it yet, (sorry), but the actual XML for the translation should not in anyway be translated itself.

Can the same problem with nonenglish language setting for admin affect the style handling too?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know how that applies. Did you upload an xml style file?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                          The 'default' style is just a name. It can be modifed and changed like any other style.
                          Yes?

I guess you are not referring to the name of the MASTER STYLE? (Hope not).

We have not renamed the "default style" template set. We have instead properly selected another style as forum default.

Comment

Yes if you are showing the Master Style then you are in debug mode which can cause lots of problems if you make the wrong change. You can change the Master style that way. I advise you to get out of debug mode before you do some damage.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                              Sorry, I don't know how that applies. Did you upload an xml style file?
                              The styles are handled with XML, right?

And i just had a thought that if a phrasing XML can be corrupted by downloading it with one language setting and thenafter uploading it with another language setting - Then maybe the phrasing could affect other XML handling.

Is that a correct assumption, (with reservation for proving the corruption of the phrasing XML)?

The thing is i don't think i did ran the style update on the first test server. not sure.
                              But i ran it on the second test server, where the menu item disappeared.
                              And i had english selected on the first server. And set it to swedish immediately on the second server after the move.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X