Mass add users to multiple groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass add users to multiple groups

Hello everyone. I have a quick question that I have not stumbled across an answer for yet.

I run a vb board for a school an our memberlist changes every semester. I've got the impex working so I can import lists of students or staff each semester. I then do a move/prune to put them into a custom group called students. Is it possible to mass add the students into the await email group and have them remain in the student group? I though I would have the await email as a secondary group, but I can't seem to find an option to change all their settings at once. Maybe I skipped over something?

Now If I do this what happens if they confirm the email? Do they just stop being a member of the await email group or do they get moved to the registered users group? Would they still retain the membership of the student group?

Secondary groups can only add permissions, and it sounds like you are wanting to restrict access through the secondary group until the users verify their emails. They need to be a primary member of that group.

Comment

Ok, I thought you might say that.

Next question. If I go ahead and put all the students in the await email group when they comfirm they will be put into the registed users group. Is that correct? Is there a way I can make them go into the student group instead?

If not, how do I add whole bunch of users to a secondary group at the same time?

Comment

Yes, email confirmations put users into the registered group. Setting a different target group requires modifying the files since the usergroupids are hardcoded. I recommend you use the default registered group as the student group.

There is no feature to mass add users to secondary groups. You can probably do this with a query, but secondary groupids are stored as a comma list and I don't know the appropriate query.

Comment

If the secondary users are stored in a comma file somewhere that would work fine. I would just need to modify the text file I use for importing a little bit. Actually now that I think about it, it affects all users doesn't it. Even so, that shouldn't be to hard to work around.

My goal was to have faculty/staff and students in 2 separate groups and try and keep the comfirm email working. In theory if I have all of this right.

I can do an import and put all the users into the await email group.

They respond and go to the registered group

I should be able to find and modify a text file somewhere in vbulletin that contains all the secondary group assignments for all of the users. By editing the text file I should be able to mark who is a student vs. staff.

So the next time I do an import this text file will have blank fields for the students that I imported that don't have a secondary group assigned yet.

Then I should be able to just do a search and replace to make all students that have a blank field now have a student field.

Does this sound possible or am I trying to make the VB software do to much?

Comment

You can always add a user to a secondary group by editing their profile in the Admin CP. Mass updating requires a query to manipulate the stored value which is a comma list. That is what I don't know how to do.

Comment

Is the comma list your speaking of just a file that's kicking around in a directory somewhere? I should be able to edit it in notepad or something similar.

I looked at the user profiles when I started this process, then I realized I'd have to update each student by hand. I was trying to avoid that as it would take quite a while.

Comment

In the user.membergroupids field in the database.

Comment

found an easy way to mass add

This worked for me anway. Since I'm importing users all the time thru impex they have a activity date of 1969. I used the promotion tool under the user section to promote everyone who had a join last activity date over 10 years ago. This let me add them to a secondary group after i was done importing them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X