Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove reason for editing...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remove reason for editing...

    How do I remove the Reason For Editing section after clicking on the 'Edit' button?

    Have found it for the 'Go Advanced' (editpost) template and removed there, but can't track down the 'Edit' location.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Search in Templates

    Search for "reason_for_editing". It returns these templates:

    editpost
    postbit_quickedit

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks - I was able to remove it in postbit_quickedit template - but then when you click on Go Advanced, you get a Javascript error in the browser and then unable to proceed.

      I removed this from the template:

      Code:
         <div>$vbphrase[reason_for_editing]:</div>
         <div><input type="text" class="bginput" name="reason" id="{$editorid}_edit_reason" value="" size="50" maxlength="200" tabindex="1" title="$vbphrase[optional]" /></div>
      Tried messing with editpost too - but just can't get the thing gone without other errors occuring.

      Would be nice if this was available as an Admin option to turn off & on at will - that's a feature request by the way

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by funkmiester View Post

        Would be nice if this was available as an Admin option to turn off & on at will - that's a feature request by the way
        I wish this was a feature too. Many customers have asked that a master switch be added to Admin CP to completely turn off the "Reason for Editing" function.

        Comment


        • #5
          You can ... actually .. You can increase the timeout for this message to 9 bazillion or something like this ..

          Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time to Wait Before Starting to Display 'Edited by...' -> 9999999999


          Or something like this On my forums I don't have this displayed either but I did not remove any code, simply increased this time .
          I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

          Comment


          • #6
            No utw-mephisto - we're not referring to that feature - but the newly introduct text box when you click on the 'Edit' button (Reason For Editing).

            To different beasts But yeah, I've had that feature for a while too!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by utw-mephisto View Post
              You can ... actually .. You can increase the timeout for this message to 9 bazillion or something like this ..

              Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time to Wait Before Starting to Display 'Edited by...' -> 9999999999


              Or something like this On my forums I don't have this displayed either but I did not remove any code, simply increased this time .
              I wish it was that easy, unfortunately the field is still there when you edit a post and members will see it and they will put in a reason, that overrides the 'Time to Wait'.

              What I would like to see a master switch that eliminates the Edit By textinput in the editpost in addition to never displaying edited by in the post itself.

              I figure if a member wants to indicate they edited their post they can write it in the post.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Andy View Post
                I wish it was that easy, unfortunately the field is still there when you edit a post and members will see it and they will put in a reason, that overrides the 'Time to Wait'.

                What I would like to see a master switch that eliminates the Edit By textinput in the editpost in addition to never displaying edited by in the post itself.

                I figure if a member wants to indicate they edited their post they can write it in the post.
                Yeah sorry, did not get first what you meant .. you are right
                I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why is this edit box even a problem? You're not required to fill it in before submitting.

                  Matt

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Each to their own Infidelmatt - my preference is that it be gone Which is why I'd like to see a global admin option to turn it either off or on, depending on a particular forums needs and/or requirements.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by funkmiester View Post
                      Each to their own Infidelmatt - my preference is that it be gone Which is why I'd like to see a global admin option to turn it either off or on, depending on a particular forums needs and/or requirements.

                      What I'm saying is that unless a feature has a definite positive or negative effect, it's unlikely to expect to receive an option for it.

                      If all the neutral features had options the vBoptions panel would be a mile long. For instance, I like the edit button to be on the left side of the postbit but I don't expect to see an option for it. Some things such as little quirky customizations like this are best left to template edits.

                      Matt

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by InfidelMatt View Post
                        What I'm saying is that unless a feature has a definite positive or negative effect, it's unlikely to expect to receive an option for it.
                        The negative effect of having an "Edited By" inserted into your post is that many would rather not edit their post for spelling and grammar errors because they don't want to have that annoying "Edited By" inserted into their post.

                        I think there have been enough people to warrant a switch for this function to be turned off completely.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can live with a template edit - but from what I've tried so far, it doesn't seem to be possible without breaking other things (such as js errors when Go Advanced is clicked with 'Reason For Editing' dialogue no longer there). It appears to have some tie-in with that button's coding, which I'm unable to find to "fix".

                          At this point, if someone is able to provide the details on how to get it removed successfully, I'm all ears

                          Thanks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OK, finally got it working - that is, to remove the Reason For Editing dialogue when Edit is clicked. Hopefully this doesn't break anything else, but I tested it pretty thoroughly without errors.

                            Edit the template postbit_quickedit and make the following changes:

                            Change this:

                            Code:
                            <div>$vbphrase[reason_for_editing]:</div>
                               <div><input type="text" class="bginput" name="reason" id="{$editorid}_edit_reason" value="" size="50" maxlength="200" tabindex="1" title="$vbphrase[optional]" /></div>
                            to this:

                            Code:
                            <div></div>
                               <div><name="reason" id="{$editorid}_edit_reason" value="" size="50" maxlength="200" tabindex="1" title="$vbphrase[optional]" /></div>
                            It works for me However, I really would like to see an AdminCP option to just simply turn it off and on.

                            Thanks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Andy View Post
                              The negative effect of having an "Edited By" inserted into your post is that many would rather not edit their post for spelling and grammar errors because they don't want to have that annoying "Edited By" inserted into their post.
                              You can set a limit for that...

                              "Time to Wait Before Starting to Display 'Edited by...'"

                              Then if they edit within the first X minutes of posting, no one will ever know they edited it.
                              vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X