Posting problems, timing out + white screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting problems, timing out + white screen

I have both members and moderators reporting that they cannot post new threads. When submitting, the window times out and they get a blank screen. Two people who approached me say they have Firefox, the others haven't shared what browser they're using.

Here are some intensive options that can slow down posting. Try enabling the mail queue and disabling automatic similar thread search:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Use Mailqueue System

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Searching Options -> Automatic Similar Thread Search

Comment

Thank you Jake.

Comment

Our forum has been having that problem off and on for a while now. Normally when I get complaints, I go in and rebuild the tables and it seems to help for a while. It started happening to me yesterday and wouldn't go away with that maintenance approach. Just tried Jake's suggestion here, and it worked like a charm. Thanks.

Any other tricks like that to further improve posting time? We have a lot of posts piling up.

TIA

Comment

Just tried another new thread on our forum and had a problem. Not quite as fatal as before but similar. The posting process took a looooong time, and I got the "timed out" screen, but the thread had in fact been posted.

Any other suggestions for speeding up new thread posting when their are a lot of posts. Forum located at:
          http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum

TIA

Comment

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Comment

Bruce,

I was seeing similar problems on my board. Check this out...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239054

Comment

Sul,

Thanks for the note. In our case the screens are not entirely blank; it is always a time out problem, so you get the typical browser time out message. So everything is working fine, except that there are so many threads/posts on the forum, it takes the server a long time to check them all. Jake's suggestions helped a lot, but depending on server load we still get time outs. The vbulletin forum here gets far more use than our humble forum, but yet posts go up like lightening. Must be a faster server? ??? We have a dedicated server that doesn't get all that much use otherwise. Hmmmmm?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X