Adding Profile Field to Registration Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Profile Field to Registration Page

I'm finding this place such a wealth of answers - I don't know why I didn't visit here before. Now I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do things that I've kind of hacked around.

Is it possible to add a regular profile field to the Registration Page? Right now I require all of my users to provide a professional website in order to register and I've created a custom field for the purpose. Of course when they enter it in that field, it doesn't provide the automatic link to homepage, whcih would be nice.

So can I add the website URL field to the registration page and make it required?

FWIW, I'm pretty savvy and don't mind hacking in a little if that's the easiest way to do it.

Karen

Yes, just make the profile field 'required' when you create it.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

There's a section in the admincp "User Profile Field" where you can add a new field.

Comment

I think I have been misunderstood.

I've done that. I've created the new profile field and made it required.

What I want to know is can I take an *already existing* profile field (the one for website) and make it required and place it on the registration page?

Karen

Comment

That would take a modification. You will probably need to ask over on www.vbulletin.org.
          vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by ksimmons View Post
            I think I have been misunderstood.

I've done that. I've created the new profile field and made it required.

What I want to know is can I take an *already existing* profile field (the one for website) and make it required and place it on the registration page?

Karen
            Note: In vB 3.6 when you make a profile ffield 'required' this will also force all existing members to fill this out before they can post or search again.

As for an already existing field, just edit it and make it required.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

(But Home Page doesn't show up as a Custom Profile Field.)
              vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                Note: In vB 3.6 when you make a profile ffield 'required' this will also force all existing members to fill this out before they can post or search again.
                As for an already existing field, just edit it and make it required.
                Right, but as mentioned above Home Page doesn't show up as a Custom Profile Field - so I don't see where I can set it as required.

I'll keep fiddling.

K

Comment

There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

As a workaround you can delete the default 'Home Page' profile field from registration & profile templates & add your own new custom/required one.
                    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Working...
                    X