Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded from 3.5.4 to 3.6.0 -- load jumped 5x

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jake Bunce
    replied
    It has been suggested that a repair / optimize can help performance problems after an upgrade:

    Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Repair / Optimize Tables

    Leave a comment:


  • telc
    replied
    I am noticing alot of slowness with 3.6.2 , I just upgraded from 3.5.1.

    This is a very large forum and with 3.5.1 and 700 users online my load average would stay around 1.1.

    With 3.6.2 my load average has been hitting 6 - 10 several times a day. The only new option I have enabled in 3.6.2 is reputation and infractions.

    My my.cnf and server has been optimized and was running fine with 3.5.1 for a long time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vigile
    replied
    Just another quick note: though my server loads are high (40+ on occasion), the server hasn't been running exceptionally slow; users can still post, search, etc. I have a hell of a server on it (quad core Opteron based)

    Leave a comment:


  • Vigile
    replied
    I know its been a while since this thread was posted too, but I am having the same issues on 3.6.1.

    Something the second page of posts forgets -- the original poster too MySQL out of the problem -- no slow queries or locked queries. Same results here. That pegged it at Apache, PHP or something else.

    So.....now I wait for the miracle answer.

    Leave a comment:


  • festivalman
    replied
    Well, I went from 2 to 4 gigs of ram in my server because of the unacceptable load spikes and their effect has been neutralized. It's obvious that vbulletin is doing something in this version that's touching a lot of data as it's suddenly consuming a lot of memory that it wasn't in the last version. I'm now paying more per month in added hosting costs, than vbulletin costs for a year because of this.

    Leave a comment:


  • filmking
    replied
    things settled down

    I am happy to report that "server load" has settled back down. Now back with readings like 1.4 ...... There may well be a period of "acclimation" ...... I did switch the "Database to (Automatic forum marking)" when I did the upgrade so that possiblity is still on the table. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything stays cool.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kevlar
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Something just occured to me. Did you set this:

    Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type -> Database (automatic forum marking)

    If so I'm wondering if this change could cause a temporary spike in server load as this change gets acclimated. Just a thought.
    Nope, I'm still using "inactivity/cookie based".

    Leave a comment:


  • nsusa
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Something just occured to me. Did you set this:

    Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type -> Database (automatic forum marking)

    If so I'm wondering if this change could cause a temporary spike in server load as this change gets acclimated. Just a thought.
    This is not selected in my case. I am still (always have been) on Cookie/inactivity.

    Christoph

    Leave a comment:


  • Steve Machol
    replied
    Not sure really. It was just an idea I had based on what Kevlar posted.

    Leave a comment:


  • filmking
    replied
    Yes, I opted for "Datrabase (automatic forum marking)

    How long before this change gets "acclimated"? These wait times are horrid!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Steve Machol
    replied
    Something just occured to me. Did you set this:

    Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type -> Database (automatic forum marking)

    If so I'm wondering if this change could cause a temporary spike in server load as this change gets acclimated. Just a thought.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kevlar
    replied
    Just to keep everyone up to date ... everything has gone back to normal. I'm slowly turning things back on and so far, no issues. My load has gone back to the mid-2.0 range...

    I stick by my idea that the server just needed a few hours to get used to the new software...

    Leave a comment:


  • MRoth
    replied
    Well, my reasons for posting were not entirely altruistic. We are currently making the same move to 3.6 and you have given me cause to keep the server loads on the high priority watchlist.

    I'll keep my subscription to this thread in case we find a cause.

    Good Luck with your efforts.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • gertiebeth
    replied
    Thanks Mark. I do appreciate the help.

    After working on this for 8+ hours, I have decided to restore my forum to 3.5. I'll wait until all these bugs are worked out before trying to upgrade again.

    Leave a comment:


  • MRoth
    replied
    Originally posted by gertiebeth View Post
    Thanks MRoth, but loads were very much under control with version 3.5. I don't want to mess with an entire server when everything was just fine before this upgrade. I can't imagine this has anything to do with the server. It has to be the script.
    That is understandable. I didn't mean to imply that it was the problem, just that it was something I saw first hand before. (well, second first hand through the site administrator) After a week of "babysitting" the server I just felt it was worth a mention as the numbers I've been seeing since then are very low with roughly 100 users at any given time.

    Sometimes, numerous things conspire to cause trouble. Researching anything related may lead to the real solution. That is, after all, what I presumed your posting the problem to the public was all about, research.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:

Related Topics

Collapse

Working...
X