Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.5.x to 3.6.0, large boards

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3.5.x to 3.6.0, large boards

    Take care with this update in large boards (more than +3/4 million posts).

    upgrade_360b1.php step 1 and step 2 can take several hours to complete. For me was about 3 hours each step under 3,5 million post board (7-8 hours total upgrade).

    For small-medium size boards upgrade goes without any problem, and much faster.


    There is some my.cnf variable than could be temporaly tunned to make table alter operations faster on updates?

  • #2
    good to know. thanks!

    Comment


    • #3
      I think this thread should be made sticky.

      For my little approx 165,000 posts, it took me about that long, but I quit and refreshed the page because I thought something was wrong. I have not been able to do a successful upgrade to 3.6.0 yet. I even had on of the guys at my webhost helping out, and even he had a problem, but he thought he got it fixed. However, whenever we clicked on any thread, we got errors.

      I gave up and went back to 3.5.4. On a test board, 3.6.0 installed from scratch like a breeze. Not one problem. But the upgrade is absolutely grueling if you don't know to wait for hours to let the finish the process.

      I wish this thread existed before I tried to upgrade. Then I would have known to just go on with my life and let it do it's thing for about 3...4...5 hours straight....or however long.
      Last edited by novelidea; Sat 5th Aug '06, 5:39pm.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the time depend of the machine.
        Upgrading from 3.0.5 to 3.6.0 with 1.2 millon post take less than hour in a athlon 64 x2 4400+, 2gb ram and 74gb raptor. The same task take several hours in a pentium 4 2.8 ghz.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dark Zero View Post
          I think the time depend of the machine.
          Upgrading from 3.0.5 to 3.6.0 with 1.2 millon post take less than hour in a athlon 64 x2 4400+, 2gb ram and 74gb raptor. The same task take several hours in a pentium 4 2.8 ghz.
          This could be true. I have 650,000 posts on my board and on my Pentium 4 it took 10 hours just for step 1 and 2. Very frustrating but hang in there. It will eventually get done.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have 450k posts and the upgrades went smoothly. No noticeable delays on any of the steps.
            vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

            Comment


            • #7
              http://www.andreas-kraus.net/blog/up...date-timeouts/

              Comment


              • #8
                @Mystics - this is not the way either If the server have short timeout session, You would not be able to upgrade like this anyway.

                Another thing is database rights. The user to upgrade the board have to have ALL privilages. Most hosting companies do not give user rught to INDEX and the upgrade script will end up dead after all.

                I have already tried everything (i think). Even installing brand new 3.6 frum and using impex and as for now by using it I get the closest to making my board to version 3.6 but still there are no styles, no usergroup or forums and subforums settings.

                To my mind the vB team had made very big mistake by solving the infraction addon this way. Maybe it would be better just to made a stand alone table responsible for infractions - not integrated with the biggest table as the post one. If someone have forum with 1000-5000 posts - then it's not the problem. Same thing when someone is using strong dedicated machine. But still there are people using VPS or ven plain hosting accounts which are suitable for them and the board.. until now :/

                Just isn't funny anymore..
                Last edited by MatraX; Mon 7th Aug '06, 2:12am.
                CEO of MaTraX.NETwork | Member of Polish vBulletin.pl
                vB forum: http://www.matrax.net/forum

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MatraX View Post
                  @Mystics - this is not the way either If the server have short timeout session, You would not be able to upgrade like this anyway.

                  Another thing is database rights. The user to upgrade the board have to have ALL privilages. Most hosting companies do not give user rught to INDEX and the upgrade script will end up dead after all.

                  I have already tried everything (i think). Even installing brand new 3.6 frum and using impex and as for now by using it I get the closest to making my board to version 3.6 but still there are no styles, no usergroup or forums and subforums settings.

                  To my mind the vB team had made very big mistake by solving the infraction addon this way. Maybe it would be better just to made a stand alone table responsible for infractions - not integrated with the biggest table as the post one. If someone have forum with 1000-5000 posts - then it's not the problem. Same thing when someone is using strong dedicated machine. But still there are people using VPS or ven plain hosting accounts which are suitable for them and the board.. until now :/

                  Just isn't funny anymore..
                  If the server has a short timeout session just run the update nohup.

                  :0

                  Matt

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We had similar problems - 800,000 posts. Fortunately, we have a dedicated server so it was a lot faster but my browser did time out and the page never refreshed to the next step.

                    For those who have SSH access, what we did was to run top to see when the MySQL process stopped and the load went down. After that we manually edited the url in the browser to read .....step2 and hit enter to move on and it worked.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'll let ya'll know how well it goes for my board tomorrow... 3.6 million posts.

                      We've recently upgraded hard drives but I still expect this to take a good 4 hours.

                      Matt

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As promised, here's the stats for running the queries manually on my board:

                        mysql> ALTER TABLE post ADD COLUMN infraction smallint(5);
                        Query OK, 3630609 rows affected (39 min 18.22 sec)
                        Records: 3630609 Duplicates: 0 Warnings: 0

                        mysql> ALTER TABLE thread ADD COLUMN deletedcount smallint(5);
                        Query OK, 169559 rows affected (12.42 sec)
                        Records: 169559 Duplicates: 0 Warnings: 0

                        mysql> ALTER TABLE post ADD COLUMN reportthreadid int(11);
                        Query OK, 3630609 rows affected (38 min 48.86 sec)
                        Records: 3630609 Duplicates: 0 Warnings: 0

                        mysql> ALTER TABLE thread ADD COLUMN lastpostid int(11);
                        Query OK, 169559 rows affected (11.02 sec)
                        Records: 169559 Duplicates: 0 Warnings: 0
                        Matt

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by InfidelMatt View Post
                          As promised, here's the stats for running the queries manually on my board:



                          Matt
                          Matt , what are you server stats?
                          CPU/RAM . Dedicated?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by telc View Post
                            Matt , what are you server stats?
                            CPU/RAM . Dedicated?

                            Dedicated
                            Dual Opteron 246's
                            4 GB RAM
                            10,000 RPM SCSI RAID 1 Drives

                            Matt

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bhd View Post
                              We had similar problems - 800,000 posts. Fortunately, we have a dedicated server so it was a lot faster but my browser did time out and the page never refreshed to the next step.

                              For those who have SSH access, what we did was to run top to see when the MySQL process stopped and the load went down. After that we manually edited the url in the browser to read .....step2 and hit enter to move on and it worked.
                              this what i did on my test forum 10 days ago
                              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194352

                              But is this method correct 100% and will not cuz any problems in the forum functions?

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X