Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turning off private message preview in emails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by joeychgo View Post
    A simple tick box in the vB options area wouldnt hurt too much would it floris?
    I don't think it's just that simple. But I am not a developer, and it's not my call to do r&d on this suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• rogerl
    replied
    Originally posted by Freddie Bingham View Post
    It is not a hack to alter phrases. That is the reason we have phrases! You change it to suit your forums.
    It is, and it is a way of correcting the problem.

However, such a major change which was as far as I know not announced between the 2 versions of the software I am sure took many of us by surprise.

I am sure the developers are fully aware of what can be done in the phrases, but as users, we aren't always aware what can be done in phrases and what can't. We also don't expect major changes to them between versions.

This change didn't seem to be needed as I am sure most people were perfectly happy with the original method.

Leave a comment:

• cujo
    replied
    Yes, but you don't know the PM msg is included until you get the PM notification email (unless you know about it already). I would assume something like this would be disabled by default.

Here is how I found out about it... I get regular PM notifications from another vB board and had a link to log back into the site to check the PM (no PM msg in email - so they obviously changed the phrase). I then get a PM notification on our own board with the entire PM msg in the email. I was then informed shortly after of replies in our support ticket system where students had replied to the PM notification email. Kinda defeats the purpose of PM's being 'private' doesn't it? It was only then that I realized this had to be changed.

At the very least, there should be a note somewhere in the ACP that the PM msg is included in the email by default. If this is already mentioned, forgive, and please point it out. Thx.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by iardon View Post
    I agree. This needs to be an option.
    Its an option by having it editable in a phrase.

Leave a comment:

• iardon
    replied
    I agree. This needs to be an option.

Originally posted by joeychgo View Post

Leave a comment:

• cujo
    replied
    We had several of our students reply to the PM notification email also, which of course went to our support email address for all techs to see. A lot of personal stuff in there.

That is until I asked here and changed the phrase as mentioned above, since there was no mention on how to do it (unless I am blind).

Leave a comment:

• joeychgo
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    We offer the tools for members to turn this off easily, and set up additional usergroups, and moderation queue, and enable permissions etc. The majority of vb sites don't want these to be turned off by default, and simply want users to register, and participate, rather then go through hoops.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by petertdavis View Post
    Well, sure Floris, I know all that. But, most of the features don't leave us open to massive spam attacks. And, yes, one of my boards did get such an attack this week.
    We listen to the customer feedback and try to come up with more unique ways to offer anti-bot registration and better ways of keeping it enhanced without becoming complex and intrusive on the user-experience.

Leave a comment:

• petertdavis
    replied
    Well, sure Floris, I know all that. But, most of the features don't leave us open to massive spam attacks. And, yes, one of my boards did get such an attack this week.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    We offer the tools for members to turn this off easily, and set up additional usergroups, and moderation queue, and enable permissions etc. The majority of vb sites don't want these to be turned off by default, and simply want users to register, and participate, rather then go through hoops.

Leave a comment:

• petertdavis
    replied
    I'd actually recommend just having this off in the default install. It really opens us up to spammers.

1. Spammer registers
    2. Spammer starts sending private messages with spam links inside
    3. Anyone who has email notification on, gets spam in inbox
    4. Members see an email with your forum name, with spam inside
    5. Members are not happy
    6. Members start reporting you as a spammer
    7. Your IP gets blacklisted
    8. Your hosting company gets very angry at you
    9. You start to wonder why Jelsoft enabled this in the first place

Yea?

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    For suggestions please post your suggestion in detail in the suggestion forum.

Leave a comment:

• ESAD
    replied
    I agree this should be an option and not a phrase edit. I have people replying to them as well. REALLY irritating. Even with the two DO NOT REPLY messages people still reply. . . go figure. I made the phrase changes and it will work good enough I suppose.
    Last edited by ESAD; Fri 8th Jun '07, 11:59pm.

Leave a comment:

• justb
    replied
    is it possible to have $detail display for certain usergroups?

Leave a comment:

• djcaseanova
    replied
    ok ill try that, but i've never edited phrases, so i wasn't sure exactly if thats what i was looking for.

Leave a comment: