Blank Pages for users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank Pages for users

Several of my forum members are having issues with my forum. They are getting blank pages at every turn. It started on Saturday evening out of the blue (was using vB 3.5.4 at the time, and upgraded hoping it would solve the issue.)

I've tried logging in as the members experiencing trouble using both IE & Firefox but have been unable to recreate the problem.

I've re-uploaded all the default vB3.6.0 RC1 files, disabled the plugin system and added the
    Code:
    define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
    edit to my config.php. Created a new style using the default templates and got them to use that style. The pages are still appearing blank.

magic_quotes_sybase is off (not sure if that matters)

A couple of the members can access the forum and post from work but not from home, one member (a fellow admin) had problems with his desktop pc but could access the forums fine with his lappy on the same connection. Some users can also only view the odd thread created from Monday fine but anything from Sunday backwards gives them a blank page.

I'm on shared hosting, php 4.3.11, mysql 4.1.19-standard

Help!

Try logging in as one of these users to see if you have the same problem. If you don't, then the cause is somewhere on their end. It's impossible to know exactly what it is but some possibilities are: browsers, browser settings, Internet and security settings, ISP and/or cache issues, firewalls, ad-blockers, spyware, proxies and any other application that affects Internet content.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      Try logging in as one of these users to see if you have the same problem. If you don't, then the cause is somewhere on their end. It's impossible to know exactly what it is but some possibilities are: browsers, browser settings, Internet and security settings, ISP and/or cache issues, firewalls, ad-blockers, spyware, proxies and any other application that affects Internet content.
      thanks for the reply Steve, i logged in as one of the troubled users as the first thing I tried. I could not recreate the problem no matter what I tried.

I was thinking that it could be something related to the users PC as if it was an issue with the database or something in the php or a plugin then it would possibly affect most if not all of the forum members.

Is there any chance that it could be related to the recent patches released by Microsoft?

Comment

unable to reproduce means it is not a vbulletin problem most situations but more the end user security or software.

Comment

just a update to this issue.

I installed a new forum with clean files and templates, and the users who couldn't access the main forum can access this new forum absolutely fine with no problems. That to me says its a database issue rather than an end user issue.

can anyone shed any light on this?

Comment

Actually it means it's probably a problem with one or more of your customizations which caused a problem on this person's PC (browser, browser cache, etc.). If it were a database issue, then it would be reproducable and there would be a specific database error.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
              Actually it means it's probably a problem with one or more of your customizations which caused a problem on this person's PC (browser, browser cache, etc.). If it were a database issue, then it would be reproducable and there would be a specific database error.
              thanks for the reply again Steve, can you suggest what would be the best way to track down the customisation that had caused this error.

At the moment i've completely stripped the forum of all plugins/hacks etc, reverted all the templates, uploaded clean unhacked files. At the moment the only customisation I have is a second custom style

Comment

Have this user try a different browser or empty his browser cace. I have no idea how to track down the exact customization causing this unless you can duplicate the problem yourself.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

i talked one of the users through downloading and installing firefox. He accessed the forum and found he still was getting blank pages. He could however view some recent threads, but not any more than a few days old.

Comment

this has happened to some of my members, but with modifinations. It must be an incorrect setting on their user account in the database probably trying to fetch a style which isn't there.
                    My Football Forum

Comment

Originally posted by boro_boy View Post
                      this has happened to some of my members, but with modifinations. It must be an incorrect setting on their user account in the database probably trying to fetch a style which isn't there.
                      Most of my AOL users were having this problem too. So I thought ok, maybe it was some plugins so the ACP I disabled the plug in system now all I get is blank pages and I am not on AOL.

I have placed this in the config :define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true); and gzip disabled, etc. etc.

Any advise on how to get rid of the blank pages?

Edited to add version 3.5.4

Comment

Webber, please start your own thread with all the relevant info.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X