Okay, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    That works.

Leave a comment:

• antialiasis
    replied
    The problem is that it is reachable from the Internet.

Would it be okay if I just put an IP restriction on it so the forum couldn't be accessed at all except from my own IP?

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    If the localhost server is not reachable from the internet then this will qualify as a temporary and private test setup.

Leave a comment:

• antialiasis
    replied
    No, I'm afraid not.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by antialiasis View Post
    It's not the server I'm using for the real forums, obviously, hence "that particular server". It's just a personal one that I use mostly for testing. As I said, hardly anybody even knows the URL to it.

I didn't make this topic for people to lecture me about server security; you shouldn't be posting here unless you know something about this password protection problem (which you probably don't, considering you sound like you wouldn't touch Windows XP Professional in any web server-related context with a ten-foot pole).
    I do have an XP server, it just doesn't have an internet connection.

do you have any control panels on it? IE zpanel etc?

Leave a comment:

• antialiasis
    replied
    No, it is accessible from the internet.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    IS this your home server which is not accessable by the normal internet?

Leave a comment:

• antialiasis
    replied
    It's not the server I'm using for the real forums, obviously, hence "that particular server". It's just a personal one that I use mostly for testing. As I said, hardly anybody even knows the URL to it.

I didn't make this topic for people to lecture me about server security; you shouldn't be posting here unless you know something about this password protection problem (which you probably don't, considering you sound like you wouldn't touch Windows XP Professional in any web server-related context with a ten-foot pole).

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by antialiasis View Post

(That particular server is running IIS 5.1 on Windows XP Professional.)
    XP PRO?!?

Are you sure mate?

Do you know how easy the server will be to hack or make a virus for?

XP Pro is so populer there is thousends of viruses seriously its not for servers unless you realy want to be easy to hack.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Might want to try asking for help at a IIS or Microsoft orniated website, I know personally I do not have much expirence using IIS's password security features.

Leave a comment:

• antialiasis
    replied
    I definitely have all permissions on for the folder. Could it be a problem that my username contains a special character or something?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Yes, its really important or we wouldn't ave it in the license agreement. I'm not sure why it isn't letting you in, make sure that you are setting the permissions correct on the directory for your user.

Leave a comment:

• antialiasis
    started a topic About running a second test forum

About running a second test forum

Now, I am interested in downloading the 3.6 beta for testing, upgrading hacks, etc. Making a folder called testvb is not a problem, obviously, but I've spent the last hour or so attempting to password protect it without success. It's not that I can't make it request a password when I try to access it; the prompt is coming up in my browser just fine. However, my username and password aren't working to log in in order to access it. My user account on the server definitely has all the permissions, but it doesn't seem to like my username/password anyway.

(That particular server is running IIS 5.1 on Windows XP Professional.)

Therefore,

a) Is it really that important to password-protect a folder containing a test forum? Would it be horrible if I just for example turned the forum permanently "offline" through the Admin CP? Or would the fact that nobody knows the URL to the test forum except me anyway help?
    b) If it is important to password-protect it, what could be wrong with the password? (And yes, it's definitely the correct password - I logged on to the computer itself earlier with that password earlier.)