Pruning My Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning My Forum

Starting to run out of space on MYSQL data base hosting plan. I'm at 871MB of the 1.0 Gig of space provided by my ISP. Rather then tweak attachment settings and the like, I would prefer to delete posts after a certain date in the forum. Is there an easy way to do this? I looked at the admin control panel and can't seem to find any way to do this...

Also, I assume once I find out how to delete these threads that will free up some space... Just want to be sure that is the case..

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me.

Gerry

Admin CP -> Threads & Posts -> Prune -> Original post date is at least X days ago
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Steve... It was right there in front of me the whole time

Comment

No problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sorry Steve but 2 more questions

1) I assume the pruning will free up space on the data base

2) The help section of pruning says that this is a sever intensive process and to use it carefully.... For this reason, should do the pruning in bite size chunks and try to do it during non busy hours?

Thanks again Steve... You're the best!!

Comment

1. Yes.

2. Yeah, that would be best.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks

Thanks again Steve!!

Comment

Pruning

Steve - I just got through pruning the forum for posts over 400 days old. The forum is around 490 days old. Looks like it found 800 or so threads and I delted them...

I went and signed into my ISP control panel to Manage MYSQL to see what effect it had on my storge capacity. The numbers have not changed, I'm still at 906.35 MB which was the same number before I pruned. Wondering if I did something wrong or prehaps there is a delay and the capacity numbers are not updated real time...

Any comments or suggestions ??

Thanks again for your help Steve.

Comment

Deleting 800 threads is not going to make a noticeable impact on a 906MB database. You can run Repair/Optimize in the Admin CP to remove some overhead but honestly 800 threads is not going to take up a lot of space.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X