Restoring old Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring old Database

I've recently re-activated my account with a web host, and they were kind enough to dump an existing SQL file of a previous forum for me. However, this is what they e-mailed to me:

I have restored the dump into a database named "maddux_forum". You will need to modify your forums database configuration to use this database, and you will need to create a new database user and grant it access to this database through the cPanel MySQL Manager.

Now, I've created the user name, but I don't know what to do next in order to bring my forum back up (it's still down). Do I reinstall the vBulletin 3.6 software or what? How exactly do I follow the instructions mentioned above in bold?

Thanks.

Edit 'includes/config.php' with the correct database info.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Just did that, and the forum still won't load. Do I have to run the vB 3.6 installation in order for this to work? Thus far, all I've done is upload the vB files to the server after the SQL dump was successful.

But yeah, I've edited the config.php file like you said and nothing.

Comment

It would help if you told us the exact error you are getting.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sorry about that. Just getting this...

Database error
          The database has encountered a problem.
          Please try the following:

* Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
          * Open the www.xxxx.com home page, then try to open another page.
          * Click the Back button to try another link.

The www.xxxxx.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
          and as for the error specifically...

Database error in vBulletin : mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 271

Comment

We need to see the real error message. Right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. Then copy-n-paste the error message here.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Warning: Unknown(/home/xxx/public_html/forum/includes/synergy.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /includes/init.php(317) : eval()'d code on line 5

Fatal error: (null)() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/xxx/public_html/forum/includes/synergy.php' (include_path='/usr/lib/php:.:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php') in /home/xxx/public_html/forum/includes/init.php(317) : eval()'d code on line 5

^^^ that's on the forum front page now

Comment

1. This error is from a plugin you've installed. You need to disable each of your plugins then turn one at a time to see which one is causing this.

If you cannot log into the Admin CP then to disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

This will disable all hooks and allow you to log in properly with no hooks running.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/disable_plugins

2. Reupload the original vB files.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Just did so. Reuploaded fresh vB files, and now I get this:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT
                  user.username, (user.options & 512) AS invisible, user.usergroupid,
                  session.userid, session.inforum, session.lastactivity,
                  IF(displaygroupid=0, user.usergroupid, displaygroupid) AS displaygroupid,
                  infractiongroupid
                  FROM session AS session
                  LEFT JOIN user AS user ON(user.userid = session.userid)
                  WHERE session.lastactivity > 1214854697
                  ORDER BY username ASC;

MySQL Error : Unknown column 'infractiongroupid' in 'field list'
                  Error Number : 1054
                  Date : Monday, June 30th 2008 @ 03:53:17 PM
                  Script : http://www.xxx.com/forum/
                  Referrer :
                  IP Address : xxxxx
                  Username : Unregistered
                  Classname : vb_database

Comment

Which version of vB is this?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I feel like an idiot, Steve. I apologize for inconveniencing you. The old vb database was actually running 3.5.4, when I thought it was running 3.6, which is why I uploaded 3.6 files.

Well, I removed all the 3.6 files and replaced them with those of 3.5.4 (still did not run the installation script). However, I'm now getting this error:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT cron.*
                      FROM cron AS cron
                      LEFT JOIN product AS product ON (cron.product = product.productid)
                      WHERE cron.nextrun <= 1214856315 AND cron.active = 1
                      AND (product.productid IS NULL OR product.active = 1)
                      ORDER BY cron.nextrun
                      LIMIT 1;

MySQL Error : Unknown column 'cron.active' in 'where clause'
                      Date : Monday, June 30th 2008 @ 04:05:15 PM
                      Script : http://www.xxxx.com/forum/cron.php?rand=506450
                      Referrer :
                      IP Address : xxxxxxxx
                      PS: I know you're now obligated to move this thread to the vb 3.5 section, but I could still very much use your assistance....

Comment

<moved>

Unfortunately I do not have a vB 3.5 database to check this with.

As per this announcement please note the vB 3.5.x has reached it's end of life and is no longer actively developed or supported:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268829

We strongly recommend that anyone running 3.5.x upgrade to the latest stable version as soon as possible.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

How am I supposed to upgrade (which is what I want to do) when the database I need to restore is 3.5.4? I'll need 3.5.4 files in order to bring it back, and then upgrade to 3.7.2, but first I need 3.5.4 assistance....

How am I supposed to do anything at this point without 3.5 support?

Comment

What do you mean by 'restore'? Please provide all the relevant info.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

My webhost, upon my request, restored a vBulletin 3.5.4. dump into a database. I did a back-up of the forum last year. He sent this:

I have restored the dump into a database named "maddux_forum". You will need to modify your forums database configuration to use this database, and you will need to create a new database user and grant it access to this database through the cPanel MySQL Manager.
                              The part in bold is what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to restore and activate the old forum (3.5.4). I've re-uploaded 3.5.4 files because the original files were not saved, just the database.

But I've run into issues. My latest one being this:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT cron.*
                              FROM cron AS cron
                              LEFT JOIN product AS product ON (cron.product = product.productid)
                              WHERE cron.nextrun <= 1214856315 AND cron.active = 1
                              AND (product.productid IS NULL OR product.active = 1)
                              ORDER BY cron.nextrun
                              LIMIT 1;

MySQL Error : Unknown column 'cron.active' in 'where clause'
                              Date : Monday, June 30th 2008 @ 04:05:15 PM
                              Script : http://www.xxxx.com/forum/cron.php?rand=506450
                              Referrer :
                              IP Address : xxxxxxxx

To summarize, this is what I've done:

1.) Restored the dump (vB forum 3.5.4)
                              2.) Uploaded 3.5.4 files (did not run the installation file)
                              3.) edited config.php to point to the database name (maddux_forum)

So what do I do now?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X