Help me help one of my members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me help one of my members

I'm hoping someone can help me here. One of my users has been unable to access my boards since yesterday. It's not a problem with my server, as she was able to access other sites I host, and no one else has experienced a problem getting on (it's a small site ~15 members, and they're all friends of mine, so I know when people are having troubles). So I'm guessing the problem isn't on my end. She was able to access other vbulletin forums though, just not mine (I don't know if that's important or not).

According to her the page just won't load at all, she doesn't always get an error message, but sometimes she gets a "connection was reset" message when she times out. Sometimes the page just sits there forever without timing out.

She says she did all the obvious stuff, cleared her cookies and internet files, rebooted, ran virus and spyware scans, etc and even changed the settings on her browser and firewall to the lowest settings to see if that was the problem, but nothing is working.

This just started yesterday, and I haven't made any changes to my site recently or anything so I'm just really stumped. She's a good friend of mine so I feel obligated to help her, I just don't know how. I'm really at a loss here. I know a fair bit about computers, but I'm not an expert by any means. I told her to call her ISP, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what might be causing her problem? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if it's important or not, but I'm running version 3.5.0, and like I said, this is a brand new problem, I haven't changed anything recently and no one else is having issues.

vBulletin isn't blocking her, she would get a notice saying permission denied. This is a hosting issue, or her ISP, or her firewall settings, or something unrelated to vB.

Let her go to start > run > cmd > and in the dos box type: nslookup YOURHOST.COM

if you run your forum on http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ then ask her to do: nslookup vbulletin.com

and copy/paste the result to you.

If she has name server issues, ask her to consider moving to OpenDNS.com - so she doesn't have to use her ISP or internal settings, and uses one that's pretty damn good. I've moved to them and it has resolved all my domain name server problems.

Comment

Thank you very much Floris. I will have her do that

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X