protecting bandwidth....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protecting bandwidth....

How do I protect my bandwidth? I have tens of members joining daily that are not real members. WHat do I need to do protect my bandwidth because I am going over every month but I really don't have a lot of regular members...I think it's spiders and false members registering but never returning. Or is there something else I am not taking into consideration that is using my bandwidth? thanks!

Guests, including search engine spiders, contribute to your bandwidth usage as well as registered users. You could restrict the access to your site for guests, as well as checking if guests are able to download attachments. I also suggest that you try and find out if there is any particular scripts on your site that are using a lot of bandwidth. You will need to contact your host for this. Finally, if you have modifications installed then it is possible that these could account for extra bandwidth usage depending on the modifications installed.
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

There's a lot to consider about for this... But for starters:
      How much bandwidth do you have per month? If this is too little to begin with, then you should probably consider upgrading instead of paying for overage.

Anyways, here's a few other things you can think about:
      1) Disable guest downloading attachments
      2) Avoid LARGE attachments (I personally frown upon any attachment larger than 1mb)
      3) Use a lesser graphics intensive skin (huge overhead banners may look cool and applicable for your forum, they also eat lots of bandwidth)

Other than that, we really need to see what is actually eating your bandwidth and then give better detailed advices.
      Best Regards,
      Andy Huang

Comment

have tens of members joining daily that are not real members
        Use the must reply to email and/or a captcha. However, I doubt they would chew up much bandwith unless these users are repeatitly downloading attachments.

Images, downloads etc are often the big users.
        Kind Regards
        Dave Hawley
        Excel Add-ins, Templates & Software
        Free MS Office Application Support

Comment

You can ip block from host side countries that you do not want to visit your site. If you have awstats installed, you can see where unwanted traffic is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
            You can ip block from host side countries that you do not want to visit your site. If you have awstats installed, you can see where unwanted traffic is coming from.

oooh---how do I do this? I get a lot of traffic from Russia, China, and India.

Comment

how much bandwidth do you generally set to your site? and how many active members?

Comment

Does your host provide you with ip block on Control Panel? and what type of Control Panel do you have.. Mine is cPanel

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
                  I use
                  Google Analytics
                  , now how can I block traffic from india ect?

Comment

Certainly not with Google Analytics!
                    Kind Regards
                    Dave Hawley

Comment

Originally posted by rusty shovel View Post
                      I use
                      Google Analytics
                      You add this to .htaccess file and about 4000 listed numbers. Just request a list over at www.vBulletin.org and private message LEAD_WEIGHT
                      <Limit GET>
                      order allow,deny
                      allow from all
                      deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                      deny from xxx.
                      </LIMIT>

Comment

Originally posted by rusty shovel View Post
                        I use
                        Google Analytics

Wish you were at immigration here in Britian 20 years ago

Comment

LOL! Now, now
                          Kind Regards
                          Dave Hawley

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X