Attachment Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment Problem

Due to a bad corruption, I recently moved my forum to a new host. I was forced to restore the database from an old backup. I seem to have most things back working, but it appears that all of the picture attachments, and avitars are corrupt. In the adminCP it showes that the data is still there, but some pictures are messed up, some are the dredded red X.

From the admincp:
    Total Attachments 241
    Disk Space Used 30.70 MB
    Storage Type Attachments are currently being stored in the database
    Average Attachment Filesize 130.5 KB
    Total Downloads 10,454

I have run the repair/optimize tables function a few times, but it doesn't help.
    Any ideas?

Was the backup from vB 3.0.x?

There is a corruption problem with shell backups for vB 3.0.x made with the mysqldump from MySQL 4.1.x. This looks like the same problem.

If so, the images cannot be fixed. To fix this problem, you need run these queries on the db prior
    to making the backup:

ALTER TABLE attachment CHANGE filedata filedata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL, CHANGE thumbnail thumbnail MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customavatar CHANGE avatardata avatardata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customprofilepic CHANGE profilepicdata profilepicdata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

Then do the restore and upgrade again.

A character set issue in MySQL 4.1.x is at fault. Converting these fields to mediumblob fixes the problem.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Nope, vB 3.5.0 (or 3.5.2) I searched and found a similar post about this, but all the details were not the same, so I decided to ask.

I can contact the old host and find out the SQL version if it will help.

I can not create a new backup, everything is gone, except for this one backup I have.

Comment

If you cannot make a new backup then I'm afraid these cannot be saved or restored. They are corrupted for good. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Huge bummer.

Is there a wayto remove all of the red xs and currupt images?

Then did I read somewhere that storing attachments in the file system is better then storing in the database?
          Last edited by Toivo1037; Wed 3rd Jan '07, 6:12am.

Comment

So any ideas on removing all of the bad attachments?
            Would it make any difference if I moved them into the file system? -Should I do that anyway?

I would like to do my upgrade soon and was wondering if I should take care of this before or after the upgrade.

Thank you,
            -Neil

Comment

The only way I know to do this would be to use this function to find and delete the older attachments:

Admin CP -> Attachments -> Search

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X