Need some database help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some database help!

I'm very new to MySQL databases, in fact I've never actually done anything with them except set one up for my forum.

Firstly I'll tell you what I'm trying to do. I want to set up a new board on a new database on the same hosting account. And yes i have enough databases and disk space to do so. And i want to transfer (if that's the right word?) the database, or perhaps the information in the old database to the new one so that the new board has all the members, posts etc. from the old board.

Also i have hacks on the old version of the board. Some i want to keep and use on the new board, others i don't.

So could someone experienced please offer help, or even offer to do it for me?

Thanks to all that help in advance!

You could install a new copy of vB to a new database, then use Impex to import the old data to the new one. Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/i...rsion=30501500

Also please view the 'After the Import' instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/i...rsion=30501500

Note: This *will* change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I had a quick read of the manual and found it quite hard to understand.

Should i install all skins and hacks etc. first before running the Impex?

Does it matter if i install different hacks from the one on my last board?

Comment

I would import first.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I get this message after going to Import > Import (in the AdminCP)

ImpEx Database errormysql error: Link-ID == false, connect failed
          mysql error:
          mysql error number: 0
          Date: Monday 08th of January 2007 12:11:50 AM
          Database: wrestlin_forum2
          MySQL error:

But i've checked in the host control panel and in the config.php files of the boards i want to impoot between for the infomation entered in the impexconfig file and everything is correct.

Whats going wrong?

Comment

You cannot connect to that database. Either the db info is wrong in your ImpExConfig.php file or the server is not running or can't be connected to.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I've changed the ImpExConfig.php file variables so that they are wrong and a i get the same message. Does this mean that it's a problem connecting to the database rather than incorrect db info in the ImpExConfig.php files??

If this is the case what can i do about it?

Thanks

Comment

If the error is the same, then so is the cause. Is this db on the same server as vB? If not, that is the likely problem. You will need to move that db to the same server you are importing to.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Both databases are on the same server, as are the forums...

Comment

Then this means your db info is wrong in ImpExConfig.php.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I have taken the infomation from both Config.php files from both forums and the forums work fine. I've doubled checked the infomation in our hosting control panel and the infomation in the ImpEXConfig.php is correct.

Before posting this i rechecked all the infomation again, and it still all apeears to be correct, yet i still get the same error message.

Comment

ImpEx Database error mysql error: Link-ID == false, connect failed

The only causes I know of for this error are either the db info is wrong, or the server cannot be connected to. I've been doing this for quite some time and to date I have never seen any other explanation for this error. If it's not one of those, then it's something I have no knowledge of and wouldn't even know where to begin to guess. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
                        X