Changing min word length for Full Text Searching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing min word length for Full Text Searching

Well, not quite! I'm running another site on the same server as my VB installation. Currently the mysql database is set to min_word_length of 4 (as is my VB in the options).

Question is:

If I change the mysql server settings to reduce the min-word search to 3 characters BUT do not alter the VB settings away from the current setting of 4, and I then restart the mysql server, will I need to run the Rebuild Search Index in VB? My guess is yes but need some clarification on this.

Secondly, if I DO re-run it in VB (and I know it is server intensive), can this be done with the boards open or should I shut them down while it runs.

To give you an idea, my boards have close to 550,000 posts currently.

Thanks
    Regards

Jay

The fulltext search does not use those options, nor the vB search index, so changing the appropriate setting in mysql should work.

You'd probably have to rebuild the fulltext index though, which'll most likely take a bit of time as well.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Cheers Colin
      Regards

Jay

Comment

I just got my host to change the variable and that alone did not work.

Rebuilding the search alone did not work. I switched back to vB search, then again to fulltext and then rebuilt the indices. But i only have a few test messages ...

And my results maybe due to previously cached searches ...
        Vote for these issues:

Comment

Working...
        X