Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Forums? ************

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering how many forums can vbulletin handle?

I am currently running vb 3.5.4 and I currently have 1010 separate forums and I was wondering if anyone knows if that is a bad idea or makes no difference in performance.

Please note that these 1010 forums are not threads, replies or views, they are actual forums and sub-forums.

Also, I would be interested to know how many forums others are running on their vbulletin and if that is having any affect on their vbulletin?

Any additional feedback in reference to having a large number of forums would be helpful.

Thank You,

Nuguru
    0-10
    11.11%
    11-50
    44.44%
    51-200
    22.22%
    201-500
    11.11%
    501-1,000
    0.00%
    1,001-2,000
    11.11%
    2,001-5,000
    0.00%
    5,001-10,000
    0.00%
    10,001-20,000
    0.00%
    20,001+
    0.00%
    Last edited by nuguru; Thu 14 Sep '06, 3:19pm.

my gudness do you have 1000+ forums in a single board
    it will b really very bad for the members to go thro' those many forums . do you have a link to your forum ?? I have 20 forums in my board

Comment

The way vBulletin is currently set up it's not such a good idea to have tons of forums, as all the forums are fetched on each page.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Can you please explain?

Originally posted by Colin F View Post
        The way vBulletin is currently set up it's not such a good idea to have tons of forums, as all the forums are fetched on each page.
        Hello Everyone, Colin and ash_bond,

I don't understand. As per vbulletin frontpage http://www.vbulletin.com/ in the key features section - mid page, its states "unlimited forums/posts", so I am taking as this saying "Unlimited forums/posts". Right?

At this point I am at 1503 forums/sub-forums and no major problems so far. However the only problem I ran into was the error "Got a packet bigger than "max_allowed_packet" bytes". However I fixed that problem, see- http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...allowed+packet.

Colin, I don't understand it when you say "all the forums are fetched on each page"? What page are you talking about? The only page that I can see that all forums are fetched at the same time is in the admincp -> Forum Manager. Other than that, I believe all my forums and sub-forums are distributed over several 100 pages.

Anyways, getting back to the fact that Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. says that a vbulletin feature is umlimited forums/posts, is there any other performance issues or issues with running such a large number of forums?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the possibility of encoutering max_allowed_packets problems with so many forums loading to mysql before it happened.

Any additional information, would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Nuguru

Comment

i have 45 that included my sub forums and archive forum. i havent had problem

Comment

Can you post a url of your forum. I would like to see 1000s forums in action
            \

Comment

In Beta....sorry

Originally posted by HUMMER View Post
              Can you post a url of your forum. I would like to see 1000s forums in action
              Hello,

Sorry, I'm in BETA right now and will go public with my URL when my site is more structured and finalized.

Just need some community support at this time.

Thank You,

Nuguru

Comment

Nuguru,

Technically vBulletin can have unlimited forums, if you have the right hardware.
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

201-500
                  TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Working...
                  X