Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Protecting New Forum/Subforums

Hi,

I tried to set up a system of forum->subforums. The Forum itself is to be accessible but each subforum is to be private and password protected. I got it set up ok only it didn't work. The forum (which is set up as a category) is open, so that was ok, but the subforum was 'private', which is ok but I was locked out of it. I set up a password in the forum manager for that subforum and wasn't prompted for it for entry to the subforum. I changed the permissions to allow admin to enter, and that worked, but that obviously won't work for other users. I undid that change and set myself up as a moderator for the forum but couldn't gain entry.

I suspect there's something about this process I don't understand. Your help would be appreciated. Basically I want to give users the option to have their own space if they desire it, password protected so only they have access to it...or others if they choose to give out the password to THEIR own space. Thanks. -Rod-

Btt

Comment

Honestly I couldn't follow this which is why I didn't answer the first time. Maybe a link and a better description of the issue would help.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Maybe this account will be more clear:

Hi,

I created a category on my board. Under it I want to create subforums that are private and password protected. The idea is to give interested members each a private space of their own. I set one up as a test and it failed. I assume that if I password protect a forum that VB will prompt for the password to that forum? It didn't happen. In the test I ran, either I was completely locked out and got a message saying I didn't have privs or I was allowed in unimpeded. I tried variations on a theme and it simply wouldn't work. Yes, I did specify the password in the forum manager and tried the switches for 'can be a password' in the on and off positions.

I've taken that section offline since it wasn't doing what I wanted, so no link. Any ideas? Thanks. -Rod-

Comment

Mods and Admins are not prompted for a password to password protected forums. Is that what you mean by 'failed'?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

No. It means it wouldn't let me in at all. -Rod-

Comment

Since this option does work with an unmofdified vB, to troubleshoot this remove any hacks and disable your plugins, then see if you still have this problem.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

If so, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file.

Next, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I have no hacks or plugins, Steve. Everything is stock except for the graphics to include added smilies and the "Strike" BBcode. -Rod-

Comment

If that's true then this should wrok fine. I have tested this on my unhacked 3.6 test forum. Perhaps I don't understand the decription of the problem them.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Or maybe I dont understand the process of setting it up? Run me through it and I'll tell you if it differs from what I did. There is a little confusion on my part about the function of 'can have a password'. That switch would seem unnecessary if I type in a password. But clarify the procedure and let's see where it goes. -Rod-

Comment

Not sure what you are asking for. It's fairly straight-forward:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Forum Password

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

That's what I did, though I did it during the forum creation stage, not as a standalone function. It does the same thing in the end. Only it didn't work. -Rod-

Comment

Steve, go ahead and try this...

http://www.usapatriotsamerica.com/fo...splay.php?f=41

Comment

I get:

Your administrator has required a password to access this forum. Please enter this password now.
                            Note: This requires cookies!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                              I get:

Your administrator has required a password to access this forum. Please enter this password now.
                              Note: This requires cookies!
                              I ma finding the same problem - going in the loop, were you able to sort this password problem for a forum?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X