Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puntoboy
    replied
    Based on what I have said here, do you think it is worth all the trouble of starting with a fresh database?

Also do you think someone of my low vBulletin knowledge can do it?

Originally posted by Puntoboy View Post
    I mean cleaning out the database.

All I imagine that I need to keep is the threads and posts.

I only have a few simple plug-ins installed that I can do afterwards as I'll more than likely reinstall the forum using the lastest version of vB.

There is a lot of old coding in the forum causing issues from previous hack when the forum used to be 3.0.8. It caused a lot of headaches when I upgraded to the current install of 3.5.2.

So would you recommend I do this? Is it something someone of my little knowledge about vBulletin can do?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Okay. Then obviously I have no idea what you are asking. Given this it might be a good time to re-explain.

Leave a comment:

• Puntoboy
    replied
    Yes you said that above, but it doesn't answer my questions, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    There is no easy way to do this. You could install a new copy of vB to a new database, then use Impex to import the old data to the new one. Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/i...rsion=30501500

Also please view the 'After the Import' instructions here:

Note: This *will* change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Puntoboy
    replied
    I mean cleaning out the database.

All I imagine that I need to keep is the threads and posts.

I only have a few simple plug-ins installed that I can do afterwards as I'll more than likely reinstall the forum using the lastest version of vB.

There is a lot of old coding in the forum causing issues from previous hack when the forum used to be 3.0.8. It caused a lot of headaches when I upgraded to the current install of 3.5.2.

So would you recommend I do this? Is it something someone of my little knowledge about vBulletin can do?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    What's you question regarding?

Leave a comment:

• Puntoboy
    replied
    not worth the hassle then?

Leave a comment:

• Puntoboy
    replied
    thanks for your help, going to discuss this with a friend of mine who knows more about this than i do and see what he says.

would you say its worth the hassle?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I don't know since Photopost is not our product and we don't support it. That's a question you need to ask them.

Leave a comment:

• Puntoboy
    replied
    ok, so any links people have to specific threads will change, can't see user ID's causing a problem.

what about photopost, will that be an issue?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Only what I noted.

Leave a comment:

• Puntoboy
    replied
    so it is possible.

are there any problems with this?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    There is no easy way to do this. You could install a new copy of vB to a new database, then use Impex to import the old data to the new one. Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

Also please view the 'After the Import' instructions here:

Note: This *will* change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Puntoboy
    started a topic Cleaning out a database?

Cleaning out a database?

Hello,

my forum has been running for many years.

the previous owner was running 3.0.8 for some time until back in january i upgraded to 3.5.2.

the problems is there is a lot of old code and old hacks still contained in the software from when she installed them in version 3.0.8 and i tihnk they are giving me problems now.

what i want to know is, is it possible to clean out the database of all the rubbish thats no longer needed and just leave the threads and posts behind? that way i can do a fresh install of 3.5.5 and install the new hacks without any problems but no lose any of the threads and posts?

thanks in advance.
Working...
X