"Go to first new post" not working correctly for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Go to first new post" not working correctly for me

It seems to be taking me to the most recent post, instead of the most recent unread post. I'm using the "Database (automatic forum marking)" option on my forum. This just started happening recently (could have coincided with me moving the site to a dedicated server).

Any ideas how to fix this?
    PhotographyCorner.com

It seems to be working fine when I try it. Keep in mind that posts are "read" as soon as you view them. The next time you "goto new post" it will ignore the previously unread posts.

Comment

Yeah, I know that... Did you try it on my forum when you said it's working fine? It just seems recently (around the time I moved to the new server) that this started...
      PhotographyCorner.com

Comment

Yeah, I visited the forum in your sig.

Make sure you are clicking the correct link. There is also a "last post" link in the various "last post" columns.

Comment

Yeah, I'm clicking on the link that ends in: showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=#####

I usually visit my own forum once or twice a day... and when I go to read missed posts, I click on new posts, then click on the showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=##### links... and it seems to have marked all but the last thread as read, even though I KNOW I hadn't opened up that thread yet. I don't think it's a vB bug... but it must have something to do with settings on the new server?
          PhotographyCorner.com

Comment

I registered two accounts and tried viewing both of their new posts through that link. It still works for me.

Comment

Hmmm... could it have to do with time lapse or cookies or anything?
              PhotographyCorner.com

Comment

Not if you are using database read marking.

How exactly are you reproducing the problem?

Comment

From what I can tell, it seems to happen only in 1 forum (at least that I've noticed) for me... the Member Introductions forum. I post in every thread in that forum (welcoming people, obviously). For example, say someone posted a new thread in there last night when I was at home. I come into the office today, click on the link to take me to the newest post (which should be the first one), but it takes me to the most recent one from, say 2 hours ago, even though I've never viewed that thread before.
                  PhotographyCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tim L. Walker View Post
                    ...click on the link to take me to the newest post (which should be the first one)
                    And that is one of the "goto=newpost" () links on the forumdisplay page (e.g. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)?

Comment

I always do it from the new post search URL (i.e. http://www.photographycorner.com/for...searchid=66251 )
                      PhotographyCorner.com

Comment

Those links work the same and do not give me problems in my tests.

Comment

Ok, so maybe it's just me? Maybe it will go away on it's own.
                          PhotographyCorner.com

Comment