Banning Guests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Do you have any toolbars installed, like the ones that check the pr of a page?
    "pr" of a page...what does that mean? Sorry i don't know the term.

Comment

Page Ranking, there are many toolbars taht will send a spider to each page you visit online. Thus something like the google, msn, alexia, toolbars will be "trying" to login to your admincp as its what you are viewing.

Comment

But wouldn't that spider have your own IP then Zachery?
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

No, your computer is not the spider, the toolbar sends data back to their servers and then they dispatch a spider to check the site.

Comment

I have a number of spiders each day. I think it is because my page is quite new. However, I logged in this morning to already find this "Guest" trying to log in. At least the spiders let me know who they are. This problem one is only giving me an address.
            Thier IP's are:
            60-248-166-136.HINET-IP.hinet.net
            218-166-57-225.dynamic.hinet.net

Is that familiar to anyone?

Comment

Personally I'd be less worried about them trying to login, this means they are failing. I'd suggest adding an htaccess or ntauth password protection to your admincp modcp install and includes directories to ensure no one is doing anything they shouldn't be.

Comment

Personally I'd be less worried about them trying to login, this means they are failing. I'd suggest adding an htaccess or ntauth password protection to your admincp modcp install and includes directories to ensure no one is doing anything they shouldn't be.
                Okay, I was trying to ignore it last week. I just became more concerned over time because they have visited before and always seem to focus on just three areas... My "adminCP" "modCP" and my "forum leaders" sections. Thanks for trying to help all.

Comment

I curious; how your are seeing the guest trying to access your admincp? Is it via 'whos online'? Are there other logs that keep that kind of info?
                  http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/

Comment

Originally posted by Orp View Post
                    I curious; how your are seeing the guest trying to access your admincp? Is it via 'whos online'? Are there other logs that keep that kind of info?
                    I checked in the "currently active users" link at the bottom of my forums page.

Comment

I'll investigate into how to do that.

Comment

Okay...I'm still concerned. The problem is back again today (day #4)...same IP address. Still trying to log into my admin panel. I cannot help but be concerned.

Comment

Well they are not getting in, did you try the htaccess?

Comment

Just lock your admincp folder with a password

Comment

I have done that. I just don't get why I still see them wandering around my site after i banned that specific address.

Comment

Because they still are looking,

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X