Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not require input of value in search field

How can I make it so I do not get this when I search:

Please specify some words or valid user names to search on. There were no matches for those that you specified.
    I want people to be able to execute a search without having to type something into the text or username field.

I have added some extra search fields to my board (check boxes and radio buttons) and I'd like for it to be possible for people to click on one of my checkboxes and to do a search without having to fill in the "Key Word(s):" or username fields.

There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I've been search and search for how to change this but have had no luck. Is this a php file or template edit?

Comment

This requires modifying the code. Again the place to ask is over at vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have checked at vb.org and about 5 other vbulletin sites and have had no luck with even a response. Sorry to bug you again on the issue, I was trying to avoid it.

I don't mean to be a bother, but when you say you do not support it and that it is a code change, do you mean that it is a change to the php files, not the templates? VB.com give template support all the time, I'm just trying to localize the issue more so that I'm not spending my time looking in an area where there is no solution. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes, this requires either a plugin or a change to the php code, neither of which we can support. That is why I said you need to ask at vbulleitn.org. If it wwas something we supported than I would not have posted that. Sorry that wasn't clear.

If you are not getting a response at vbulletin.org, then you may have to offer to pay someone to do this for you. Not everyone is willing to do substantial coding jobs for free. You can posts such requests in the Service Reuqests forum there.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Trust me I've tried everything, even paid. Funny thing is that the guy who fixed it previously did it with a change to one line of code. Where? That's the question. I'd ask the original guy who helped me but he burnt out on coding and closed his entire site down, which contained the answer!

Oh well, it will eventually be solved. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Comment out the line in search.php where you find searchspecifyterms.
                Lats...

Comment

Rejoice! It works! Thanks Lats. You are truly a savior.

Check it:

http://www.onereef.com/forums/search.php

Comment

Oops spoke too soon. That doesn't work. While it allows me to search, it brings up the same 70 results no matter what I select on my check. It looks like it is generating the same searchid. I don't think that is becuase of the change you suggested, it's something else.
                    Last edited by waltercat; Wed 10th Jan '07, 2:00pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X