Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i give a user admin panel access without moderator privilges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    LeftCost please run the suspect file version dianostic in the maintanece section.
    anything you find that you think is a problem?

my biggest headache right now is i have him listed as an admin- but when i try to edit his admin permissions i get this error: "invalid user specified"

Leave a comment:

• LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    Originally posted by slappy View Post
    If you look at this user in the AdminCP does he show as Administrator?

REgards,
    under usergroups, yes.

he just logged on and went into the mod's room (which admins have access to) and was like "wtf, how come i can see this" lol... i hadn't told him i've been messing with his settings.

he now knows.

Leave a comment:

• LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    LeftCost please run the suspect file version dianostic in the maintanece section.
    quite a bit, but mostly add-ons that haven't had any other issues:

Diagnostics

Help
    Suspect File Versions Scanned 45 files
    ./arcade.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinvbgarage.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinforumpath.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinScanned 51 files
    ./admincppenguin.game.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinarcadetools.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinvba_cmps_admin.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinvbacmps_install.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinarcadeadmin.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinarcadeimport.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinScanned 3 files
    ./archiveScanned 17 files
    ./clientscriptarcade.jsFile not recognized as part of vBulletinScanned 86 files
    ./includesvba_cmps_plugin_newpost.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinadminfunctions_vba_cmps.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinfunctions_arcade.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinclass_database_analyse.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinconfig.old.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinarcade_dd.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinvba_cmps_include_template.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinvba_cmps_include_top.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinclass_tar.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinvba_cmps_include_bottom.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinvba_cmps_include_error.phpFile not recognized as part of vBulletinScanned 14 files
    ./includes/cronScanned 7 files
    ./includes/paymentapiScanned 12 files
    ./includes/xmlbitfield_optoutgnp.xmlFile not recognized as part of vBulletinbitfield_siglimits.xmlFile not recognized as part of vBulletinbitfield_v3arcade.xmlFile not recognized as part of vBulletincpnav_v3arcade.xmlFile not recognized as part of vBulletinhooks_v3arcade.xmlFile not recognized as part of vBulletincpnav_vbacmps.xmlFile not recognized as part of vBulletinScanned 51 files
    ./installScanned 10 files

./modcp

i'll have to search around for what vb 3.6 does that when i pasted that text info- it actually pasted the entire picture/page/table from my forum into the text box (but lost it upon posting). looks liks a cool possible new feature...

Leave a comment:

• slappy

• slappy
    replied
    If you look at this user in the AdminCP does he show as Administrator?

REgards,

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support

• Zachery
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    everything shows either "ok" or up to date.

Leave a comment:

• slappy

• slappy
    replied
    Did all the tables update correctly? Have you updated the Counters for Usertitles and Ranks and Fix Broken User Profiles, Update User Names? Just shooting in the dark here, because there is obviously something sticking in this User's database listing which is not correctly reflecting the changes you are making to his Usergroup.

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    same thing... "invalid user specified" ???

this is bizarre.

Leave a comment:

• LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    Is this person already in the Administrator Usergroup? You might have to put him in the Administrator usergroup, update the tables, and THEN try to find him with the Administrator Permissions. Since he's an existing user, unlike the one I created from scratch, there might be some conflict in the usergroup settings until you update that table the first time, and then you have to update them AFTER you set the Administrator Permissions, also.

Regards,
    i'll do it again, but i had him in the admin group- then updated the tables.

i'll update the tables with him in his regular group, put him in the admin group, and then update again... see if that does anything.

Leave a comment:

• slappy

• slappy
    replied
    Is this person already in the Administrator Usergroup? You might have to put him in the Administrator usergroup, update the tables, and THEN try to find him with the Administrator Permissions. Since he's an existing user, unlike the one I created from scratch, there might be some conflict in the usergroup settings until you update that table the first time, and then you have to update them AFTER you set the Administrator Permissions, also.

Regards,
    slappy
    Last edited by slappy; Sun 16 Jul '06, 4:46pm.

Leave a comment:

• LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    i'm used to working within a much faster moving and more sporadic forum; if you don't quote- no one will know what you are referring to...

anyways, it didn't work

for whatever reason, when i try to use the drop-down menu to "edit administrator permissions" i get an error "invalid user specified"

???????????/

i dont know how that can be, when i'm going through his user settings directly; it's not as if i could have spelled his name wrong (like a fill-in box, such as "user banning").

so now i've got an entire different problem than i started with.

Leave a comment:

• slappy

• slappy
    replied
    By the way, if you use the Post Reply (at the bottom) 0r the Quick Reply In the Thread, far Right, you can avoid, if you want to, Quoting everthing which appears in the Post you are responding to.

It just makes a short answer, shorter, if that is your preference.

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    LeftCoastBias:

First, I was incorrect on the claim that one can not limit administrator's permissions by category and you have my apologies. I really had not paid too much attention to the Administrator Permissions tab before, because, as I said, although I have access to the AdminCP and the Config.php file, I had never made myself a SuperAdministrator before. I did so on my home board and looked at the "Permissions." I then went through some of the issues you are facing and believe I may have the solution.

Here's what I did. I put myself in the SuperAdministrator group in the config.php. Then, logged in as Mr. SuperAdministrator, I created a user and put him in the Administrator Group, using the Users Tab. I then logged out as Mr. SuperAdministrator and logged in as this "New" Administrator and went to the AdminCP. No permissions, as expected, and as you are seeing.

I then logged out the "New" Administrator and logged in again as Mr. SuperAdministrator and went to the Usergroup Manager and selected the Administrator Usergroup and edited the Permissions of the "New" Administrator to have access ONLY to Styles. Saved and logged out.

Logged back in as the "New" Administrator and there were still no AdminCP tabs visible. Hum!!! This didn't make any sense, because I had just given this "New" Admin access to Styles.

So I went to Maintenance -> Repair/Optomize Tables and updated and repaired the table, including Usergroups and Usergrouppermissions, and then logged out as Mr. SuperAdministrator and logged back in to the AdminCP as the "New" Administrator, and Damn, I had access to the Style Manager.

So, put him in the Administrators Group, go to the Administrators Permissions and give him the permissions you want and then Repair/Optomize the Tables and he should have "Those and Only Those" Permissions.

Sometimes, it's the "simple" things we overlook. Like my not actually giving myself permission to view the "Administrator Permissions" before I expressed my opinion and not doing something as "simple" as updating the Tables after changing a User's Status and/or Usergroup Permissions.

Give that a try and let me know it that worked.

Regards,
    awesome, i'm going to try that right now.

i had a feeling i could do something like that- but it wasn't working

but i didn't try repairing or optimizing the tables!! i'll report back...

Leave a comment:

• slappy

• slappy
    replied
    LeftCoastBias:

First, I was incorrect on the claim that one can not limit administrator's permissions by category and you have my apologies. I really had not paid too much attention to the Administrator Permissions tab before, because, as I said, although I have access to the AdminCP and the Config.php file, I had never made myself a SuperAdministrator before. I did so on my home board and looked at the "Permissions." I then went through some of the issues you are facing and believe I may have the solution.

Here's what I did. I put myself in the SuperAdministrator group in the config.php. Then, logged in as Mr. SuperAdministrator, I created a user and put him in the Administrator Group, using the Users Tab. I then logged out as Mr. SuperAdministrator and logged in as this "New" Administrator and went to the AdminCP. No permissions, as expected, and as you are seeing.

I then logged out the "New" Administrator and logged in again as Mr. SuperAdministrator and went to the Usergroup Manager and selected the Administrator Usergroup and edited the Permissions of the "New" Administrator to have access ONLY to Styles. Saved and logged out.

Logged back in as the "New" Administrator and there were still no AdminCP tabs visible. Hum!!! This didn't make any sense, because I had just given this "New" Admin access to Styles.

So I went to Maintenance -> Repair/Optomize Tables and updated and repaired the table, including Usergroups and Usergrouppermissions, and then logged out as Mr. SuperAdministrator and logged back in to the AdminCP as the "New" Administrator, and Damn, I had access to the Style Manager.

So, put him in the Administrators Group, go to the Administrators Permissions and give him the permissions you want and then Repair/Optomize the Tables and he should have "Those and Only Those" Permissions.

Sometimes, it's the "simple" things we overlook. Like my not actually giving myself permission to view the "Administrator Permissions" before I expressed my opinion and not doing something as "simple" as updating the Tables after changing a User's Status and/or Usergroup Permissions.

Give that a try and let me know it that worked.

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• LeftCoastBias

• LeftCoastBias
    replied
    Can Access Control Panel (is Administrator)

What Floris is telling you, and what I have been trying to tell you, is that if you choose:

Can Access Control Panel (is Administrator)= Yes

There is no mechanism for LIMITING what the person can do ONCE THEY ARE ACTUALLY IN THE ADMINCP!!!

There is NOTHING which lets YOU choose which tabs in the AdminCP they can access. They can access them all, including Users and the ability to access USERS to promote someone as Administrator or Moderator. That's just the way it is. I didn't make the configuration. I'm just telling you how it works.
    but that is actually where you are wrong.

and it's not the problem that i am having- you're focusing on the wrong part of my situation in attempting to help. i appreciate the help- or the attempt, but you're not helping.

you CAN (read zachery's post) limit administrator permissions.

my MAIN PROBLEM, is i cannot get a particular user to have ANY admin permissions.

i've put him into his own special user group deisgned for his tasks, and that didn't work.

i put him in my moderators group- still can't give him admin panel access (all the other mods do in some form or fashion).

i put him in my administrators group- STILL cant give him admin panel access (and i have one more guy set up just like him, that i have limited his access to STRICTLY stlyes and templates.)

when this particular user is in one of those user groups, and i'm on the edit user field, i use the drop down menu to access "edit administrator permssions" and get the error: "invalid user specified"

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X